Celeron TO Pentium D 935 Presler.. Upgrade error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I'll try my best to follow the rules here and post some specs.

MOBO: Gigabyte 8I865GME-775
RAM: 1g kingston dual channel
PSU: tHERMALTAKE 500W W0120
full psu specs at this link: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/power/purepower/w0120/w0120.asp

HD: WD 120 GB / WD1200JB-00GVA0
Display card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS AGP

Okay here's my issue I built this PC about 9 months ago.
My original cpu was a Celeron D 351 3.20Ghz, it was slow
This pc was stable, never had a single crash or reboot, during the many hours of use.

Yesterday I installed a Pentium D 935 dual core Presler 3.2GHz.
Wanted to speed things up a bit, found a good price at newegg.
My pc booted up fine, recognized the new cpu and loaded xp (sp2)
but....
I started getting random reboots. After the first reboot I started using a program to watch the cpu temps, I never saw it above 30c, starts at 20c and climbs to around 28c with a 60% load.

I figured it had to be the intel stock fan so I installed my old trusty Kingwin.
Temps did drop on average , the reboots have almost stopped.
And did use Artic Silver 5
I've had one since I installed the new fan 3hrs ago. Before it was rebooting every 2-10mins

But honestly all the temp I'm seeing seem much much lower than most users.. right?

So what could the reboots be from?
Would the CPU upgrade draw more power and make the psu fail?
Should I hope that the rebooting stops?
Or get an RMA from newegg before my 7 days is up??

500 watts should be enough for that setup. you might want to use prime95 to check ram and cpu stability.

Unless.......

If you have your Desktop in the refrigerator, or are using water cooling, Those temps might be believable. In the real world 20c is below room temperature and 30c is below 100F. There is no way temps that low,(if they're real) are shuuing down the PC.

Wow you are right about the temps, I hadn't thought about it,
This room is not AC, room temp here is around 75f.

I see the temps I posted in Bios and under windows with gigabyte easytune utility.
Right now they are readning CPU 22C/71F

I wonder how else I can view the temps? accurately?

I might try prime95,
I'll post the results

Speed fan is alot like the easytune software I using now.
But speedfan is much more user friendly.

I'm still getting a 20c idle temp?
But atleast it's only rebooted once in past 5 hrs.

I adjusted the cpu fan to speed up a tad too.

and Prime95 came up with an error after a few mins of tested using the prime.net option.

Under the readme file it said this error was likly to be cpu heat related.
Or bad ram (mine has been tested though)

Under the Torture Test everything was fine.
But I only let it run for 5min or so.

Anyway that's my update.
I'm gonna play some UT 2004

It follows that......

This is likely a sensor problem, hence whatever program you choose to monitor the system will return false readings. The Pentium Ds are notorious for high power consumption, and high power equals high heat. The problem is likely in the mobo due to the fact that the inconsistent reading have followed from your Celeron. I'm typing this on a machine with a Cedar Mill Celeron D 356 (3.33Ghz). It runs about 35c idle to 50c under full load, and these readings seem to be about expected for the type. This processor has a design power of 86 Watts. The Pentium Ds run up to 130 watts.

The Pentium D 940's and up run at 50C at idle on stock cooling on average. Yeah they get pretty hot.

Update

I decided to put the old celeron back in,

Now my temps read about 33c idle

Thats a 10 degrees difference from the other processor idle temp??
Celeron = 33C idle
P4 D 935 =20C idle and cause system lockups and reboots..

WTF?

bad chip?
Maybe my MOBO can't take this processor?
update bios?

Ummm...

The board may have to be enabled for 64 bit 0peration before you can use the Pentium D. Many of Intel's new processors won't work with the older chipsets. Check Intel's web site to find out if that particular Celeron is 32 or 64 bit enabled. Don't panic the OS can still be 32 bit. I know I won't be buying any open box 935s anytime in the near future. I can't figure out if that's an Intel chipset in the Gigabyte board # you gave.

You need a BIOS upgrade for that mobo since the CPU Support list for it states that it needs the BIOS to be at least at version F2 before it can support that particular processor. Here is the link to the BIOS download page. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

vF2 Bios came with this motherboard.
But since I didn't have much else to try I installed vF3 Bios.

To my surprise the Temps now read normal.

But Prime95 can find an error in under 2mins, the CPU temp doesn't go above 42c.

And for some reason it stays at around 50% load using that program.

I then installed the lastest Bios vF5.

Same issues, program finds errors quickly

RMA?

Because......

It's a dual core. You have to run two instances of the app. supersmashbrada just did this with his quad. PM him.

Ohh Yes you are correct.
but considering I'm already getting errors at 50% usage and only 2mins into the test.
Should I bother running it twice?

Culprits?

Bios: updated to latest version
PSU: ? Check the specs above, seems like a good one.
Bad cpu: ?
Heat: Never gets near 50c
Ram: tested with mem86, tested fine.
Bios settings: Don't know what to change or tweak if it was?

hmmmmm?
Well, this guy is being shipped back to Newegg tomorrow unless I miracle happens.

Father Forgive For I Have Sinned.......

First, have we decided the temperatures are spot on? I mean, given the history here.

Second, as far as running Prime 95 goes, I figure what I don't know won't hurt me. Don't even have a copy.

I'm going to kick back now and wait for the fan mail on that one.

Seriously, I wish I could give you more info about Prime 95, sorry.

You can run two instances of Prime95 to stress test both cores.

I currently don't have the time to write up the instructions for you, so I'll just link you to one of my previous posts:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic75870.html

Scroll down to my post, and revise my steps for two cores rather than four.

You could also use Orthos (Google it), which is Prime95 for two cores.

Good luck.

Since the RAM is okay and not OC'd at all, and the temperature level for the CPU is within acceptable levels, the only culprit left is the PSU. Even good-branded ones can sometimes turn out bad. Try getting another one from Thermaltake, Enermax, Antec, Fortron FSP, CoolerMaster, Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ or PC Power & Cooling. They all make excellent-quality, reliable PSUs.

I'm also seeing info online about adjusting vcore+ and ram clocks-
Seems to solve issues with many prime95 users.

Ehh dont know

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Since the RAM is okay and not OC'd at all, and the temperature level for the CPU is within acceptable levels, the only culprit left is the PSU. Even good-branded ones can sometimes turn out bad. Try getting another one from Thermaltake, Enermax, Antec, Fortron FSP, CoolerMaster, Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ or PC Power & Cooling. They all make excellent-quality, reliable PSUs.

Might be right, later tonight I'm gonna try a test,
Since my old celeron d ran fine in every aspect and the new p4 d doesn't.

Well maybe that extra power draw is the killer.

If it is,
shouldn't I try unplugging everything extra?
Take out the geforce card, use the onboard vid.
Unplug the optical drives etc.

Run Prime 95 and see what happens?
If nothing
Failing PSU would be my conclusion..

Right?

Solid now?

Not sure if anyone is really watching this thread, but I want to post my progress for the next poor soul who's researching this problem.

Well, I did a finale update to the Bios. vF4
Set everything to default and rebooted.

I realized that I was possibly running prime95 incorrectly since I had a dual core chip. I was hoping this was causing the errors.

I got Orthos and ran it through it's first test cycle took about 20mins and passed.
Considering before it was failing after 1min thats a big improvement!
Temp was never over 51c. Not bad? eh

I'm ASSUMING that this program can early detect the issues that was causing my computer to lockup and reboot before. Maybe? I'm sure that's a big debate.

In my gut I keep thinking this thing is going to reboot.

So I guess I'll keep the cpu after all.
I would prefer a much longer stress test and I will do one when I get the time.

If I get another crash, reboot I'll post it here.

Thanks for your help guys. seriously

Hi, I own the same mobo, and I wanna do an upgrade. So, can I buy a PD 935? Did you solve your problem?

P.S: Soorr me by my English (I'm from Brazil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back