Centrino Connection Problems. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boiler41

I got a free laptop form work with the intel centrino chip in it.
When I first brought it home, it wouldn't connect at all.
After about a week it started connecting, and life was good.
Now it's connecting but won't receive any packets.

My girlfriend got a similar computer with the same centrino chip and hasn't had any problems with it.

I have no idea what would cause my computer to be so tempermental, but any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

firewall maybe? Which Intel Pro Wireless card do you have? There are three models I believe, the 2100, 2200, and 2915. These cards all three have one common feature, power management, which is set to lowest by default, try turning it up, this uses more battery but also makes the card work better. The 2200 and 2915 also have a throughput enhancement and transmit power that can be enabled and turned up. These also increase battery consumption, but also make the card work better.

Centrino is not the wireless card, it is simply a term which intel has marketed using misinformation, centrino simply means your computer includes three components; Intel pro WLAN adapter, Intel graphics, and Intel mobile chipset. The actuasl purpose of these components are to preserve battery life, not anything to do with wireless. The marketing of this is completely wrong and has caused many issues when it comes to wifi.

Basically, the "real" meaning of the term Centrino is to make the battery last longer by reducing the performance of your video, networking and processing.

I have the 2100. I can't seem to find where my firewall settings are, but I know I haven't changed them in the three weeks I've had my computer.

I did turn up the power, but it still isn't working. The notebook says that it is connected and is sending packets, it just isn't getting any back.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Maybe try updating the firmware on the router. I know that Intel cards have issues with some routers if the router isn't "Wi-Fi Certified". Many routers added this "certification" through a firmware update.

Info for updating the firmware for your specific router make and model should be available on the manufacturer's website. The firmware update should also be available there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back