Change IDE Cables?

By hdmk ยท 5 replies
Sep 28, 2002
  1. I'm thinking of upgrading my system at the end of the year.

    Do I need to upgrade the cables connecting the cd drives, hd etc? At present the mobo is PC100 - not fast then..but are there different speeds for these cables?

    If I do need to replace them..where do I get them - do they come with the mobo? :confused:
  2. Vehementi

    Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,704

    They will come with the sysbo, unless you're getting a super-duper uber-cheap OEM board.

    No need to buy new ones, unless you want rounded cables.

    In fact, the only trouble you'd have with your current drives is if your HDD's and CD-ROM's are ATA133.

    But don't worry, everything you need will come with your sysbo.
  3. Vassal24352

    Vassal24352 TS Rookie Posts: 31

    super-duper- uber-cheap??? lol
  4. hdmk

    hdmk TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 104

    Thanks :)
  5. boeingfixer

    boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,006

    One other quick tid-bit. If you can, use only 40 pin/80 connector cables, commonly refered to as ATA-100 cables. They will help prevent crosstalk. I have no cable in my case that isn't 80 connector.
  6. Vehementi

    Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,704

    BTW, to tell a 40pin/80conn. cable apart from a 40pin/40conn. look at the wires. On an 80conn. IDE cable, there are twice as many wires than either a floppy or 40conn. IDE cable.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...