Change one folder color in Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Change one folder color in Windows Explorer

I would like to be able to easily spot a folder in Windows Explorer. Can I change just one folder by color or a different folder icon?

Also, I have added one of my folders as a "toolbar" on the Taskbar. Is there a way to do the above with a folder in that Toolbar folder?

What version of Windows?

The easy way would be to get Microangelo and it will add "Appearance" to the context menu, there you can change the icon for most any icon on the system.

As for the folder in the toolbar folder, I think you should be able to do that from the icon on the toolbar. Just rightclick the folder on the toolbar and choose properties and it should have a button for "change icon" same as all other shortcuts.

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to stay in the "free" category because it's not a biggie except now it's just bugging me because I can't do it.

Doesn't that always suck? I hate it when I find something that will work out perfectly, but you have to pay a bunch of money for the program you really DON'T need, just would be nice to have.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
I hate it when I find something that will work out perfectly, but you have to pay a bunch of money for the program you really DON'T need, just would be nice to have.

...and it's builtin in other operating systems :p

foldericons.png

What version of WIndows, then?

This feature is pretty much built into Windows XP..

There is another easy way too:
Just create a shortcut to the folder and change the shortcut's icon.

I'm running Win2k at this point. Waiting for a little more "bread" for XP.

Found the solution for my dilemma. Here she goes.

Change Folder icon

In Notepad add th e following and "Save As" Desktop.ini

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=myicon.ico
IconIndex=0
InfoTip=This is the pop up description

If you want to use an icon in a DLL, you need to find the index in the DLL first: (Ex: Cool.DLL has a lot of icons)
code:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Cool.dll
IconIndex=6
InfoTip=This is the pop up description

Go into the folder and set your icon and desktop.ini file to Hidden and Read-Only. Now open a DOS prompt in that folder's parent and type "attrib +s foldername".
Optional: If you put "ConfirmFileOp=1" in the ini file, it will treat that folder like a system folder for file operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back