Changed hard drive can't boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched by hard drive from one dell laptop to another running xp new computer won't boot up tried everything I know which isn't to much tried safe mode stops at agp440.sys line and just freezes up tried last good config and all wont work.

HELP!!

One More Question

Will that erase or disrupt any files I have on the computer?

also I don't understand why the hard drive works in the old computer.

It has worked in the new one before and stopped ever since they replaced the motherboard in the old one. Could it have something to do with the driver for the new motherboard in the old computer.

Thanks

The problem is the version of Windows you have is designed NOT to work when it is switched to a new hardware environment.

clueless08 said:
Will that erase or disrupt any files I have on the computer?
No
Except for all the Windows security updates - they will require re-doing

clueless08 said:
also I don't understand why the hard drive works in the old computer.
It has worked in the new one before and stopped ever since they replaced the motherboard in the old one. Could it have something to do with the driver for the new motherboard in the old computer..
No its to do with the version of the CPU bus

the hard drive is looking for certain files and file paths. When you move them from one computer to another they generally wont function. The situation is more prominent in people ugradeing the MB and haveing issues with boots.

There are 11 different versions of Windows XP, then there are at least 19 others that are issued as "recovery" or "restore" discs by the computer manufacturer.

It will depend entirely on which Windows XP disc you have, as to whether you can repair the install on the exisiting drive, or whether that disc will destroy everything. A few, but NOT ALL of the possibilities: If you have an OEM version of Windows XP, it will destroy every file you have it you let it continue. If you have an Academic version of WXP, or if you have most Recovery or Restore versions, they will destroy your files.
Other WXP discs with the original Microsoft color scheme, witll work, and all Full Install discs that are not OEM will work.
You are best served by installing your drive in another computer or USB box as a slave to recovery your data.

Different motherboard

To make it work you must run a Repair on Windows
Each time that you move the harddrive to another computer, acting as Master

I cant run the repair in the new computer because it has no cd drive yet can I run it off a flash drive if I put it on there?

This disc I have is xp home Reinstallation cd w/service pack 1a will that wipe out all my files?

It stopped working properly because of the Windows XP install on the disc. It is designed to detect any changes in your install system. It does not always detect the changes but it is supposed to.
If it detects any change in the system, such as motherboard, cpu, hardware configuration, chipset, video card, or anything other than a memory change, it is designed to shut down or freeze.
Read the EULA that is found on the Microsoft site, and comes with each and every Windows Disc. It tells you what your rights are. You can also find a lot of information on the Microsoft web site.
Microsoft's legal position is that you do not own the Windows XP. You merely are licensed to use the WXP product key on one motherboard. When the motherboard dies or is changed, the license expires. You can talk them into a fix, but only if you do not have a history of making several changes.

A clean install will not be detected, but if the product key has been used more than three times in a year, or more than twice recently, they will give you a hard time and require you discuss it with them over the phone. If you go more than a year without an install of the product ID, they will allow a clean install... but they do not have to do so.

OEM WXP and Academic WXP installs are the most difficult because there are so many discs out there. Microsoft will not allow multiple installs on those two versions.

You know I have never done a Windows install from flash drive, but I know it is workable - Not by just copying the files though
You must make it a bootable Windows Flash Drive disk

This disc I have is xp home Reinstallation cd w/service pack 1a will that wipe out all my files?
Actually some programs and Drivers require minimum SP2
Therefore if you do the Repair option, you will then need Windows SP2 it's a free download from Microsoft (you can order the CD too)

raybay said:
if the product key has been used more than three times in a year, or more than twice recently, they will give you a hard time and require you discuss it with them over the phone.
Oh yeah forgot that you need to re-activate with your product key
It's very annoying

There are extremely few versions of Windows XP that will work off a flash drive, and you must have the disk to set it up... you cannot use it by transferring off another hard drive, as Microsoft has fixed that option. If you have a Windows XP disk, there are ways to transfer that to a Flash Drive, if you are skilled in the concepts of Windows XP install disks, Cabs, and such.
Microsoft has lots of engineers who work at outsmarting all the people in the field. You have to be very clever to do something they don't want you to do, as they are protecting themselves against any fraudulent installs.
You can find plenty of install discs in Mexico, Thailand, and the Balkans that have been adapted so Windows XP does not report to Microsoft.

I have worked in one city in Mexico where every single business computer in one section of town used the same product ID, but that is rare... and of course, updates are no longer available.

You can buy Windows XP Home for $64 if you shop carefully, or $87 in most markets. But you will need to spend $139 or more to get a full install verion with repair features built in... and the full, unrestricted version of Windows XP is $399.

Just info
raybay said:
I have worked in one city in Mexico where every single business computer in one section of town used the same product ID, but that is rare... and of course, updates are no longer available..
Actually most installs of big brand computers use a generic (same) product key (different to the one on the box)

Well, not most. A few Dells, Gateways, and Compaqs for a while... but they must detect the EEPROM code on the motherboard in order to do that... That was not the case in Mexico. Most EEPROM detection is limited to certain models of a brand. Microsoft has stopped that from continuing in future releases.
HP, Sony, eMachines, and SystemMax will not reliably do this, though each can do a few machines. The HP is limited to three to five different non-contiguous models, and they all still require EEPROM detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back