Changing Motherboard and Windows XP

By Kent
Mar 9, 2005
  1. Hey fellas. I was looking into changing my motherboard, and I realized that I was not provided a Windows XP cd when I purchased my computer. After doing some searching, I did notice that the manufacturer created an I386 folder with the associated XP files on my hard drive.

    If I switched motherboards, I was wondering if there would be some way I could reinstall XP again without having to buy a new CD. I appreciate any comments. Thanks a lot everyone.
  2. dopefisher

    dopefisher TS Rookie Posts: 444

    well if your comp is ion warranty you could simply call the manufaturer and get a free restore disk. but you have to make sure that their windows isnt only for their motherboard. what type of computer do you have?
  3. Mictlantecuhtli

    Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

    I don't know if XP install is that smart, but you could try booting with XP setup boot floppies (available from Microsoft's site), if it lets you choose that directory instead of a CD. If not, you could try burning the I386 directory to a CD.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...