Changing my graphics card...bit stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have just got a new computer and have taken the graphicsw card out of the old to put in the new.
The card I am trying to put in is a GeForce 4 MX-440. The PC currently has OnBoard S3 graphics.

I have downloaded a driver for the new card, but it won't let me install it unless the graphics card is in. So, I put in the card, but then my screen just shows a blank.

Can anyone tell me how I can get the new card to work? Possibly the driver I downloaded isn't the best one...any idea where I can get a good driver for it?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Abi

There are a couple of options.
When you add the new card, keep the cable hooked up to the old card. Boot into windows and install the new drivers. Move the cable to see that the new card works..
Then reboot, go into the bios (usually <del> at the post screen) and disable the onboard graphics.

The easier way (if it works) is to go into the BIOS first and disable the onboard graphics, and then add the new card, boot with it into windows and install the drivers. Of course, if it doesn't work, you'll have to clear your CMOS and re-apply any custom settings you were using.

Either way should work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back