Changing the name of a drive in BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a new Dell Dimension 9100, and it came with a DVD-Rom and DVD-R/RW. I'm not sure about the information for the DVD-R/RW, as my BIOS is currently not recognizing it. I am using a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 wireless adapter, and it is somehow causing my DVD-R/RW to not be recognized by the BIOS.

When the wireless adapter is plugged in, upon booting the computer I'll be told that it "cannot find Drive 5." I looked in the BIOS, and the DVD-R/RW is Drive 5. I have to take the wireless adapter out and reboot one or two times before the BIOS will recognize it. When I boot it up and the drive works, I can put the wireless adapter in and both will work. But then I shut down the computer, and when I reboot with the adapter in, it won't work. When I reboot with the adapter out, I still get that "Drive 5" message, but I only get it after both the DVD-R/RW and wireless adapter were used.

This is frustrating. My father doesn't know what to do, and I haven't been able to find any information that could help me. Is there any way I can change the DVD-R/RW from Drive 5 to something else and maybe solve this? If I've managed to confuse you, I'm sorry; just tell me and I'll try to explain.

Try playing around with IRQ and plug an play settings. Try toggling legacy USB/USB interrupt, plug and play BIOS, APIC, disable VGA interrupt. Disable any devices you don't use in BIOS - turn off parallel and serial ports for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back