Chaning Old Master HD to New Slave HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I took my computer to Best Buy to have a new 120 GB HD intalled into my computer since I didn't have the time this week to do it myself. I asked them if it was possible to make my old HD into a Slave with all the data on it still intact, they said yes and said they would do it with no extra charge. When I went to pick it up, they handed me my computer and the old HD in the anti-static bag and packaging of the new Western Digital HD I asked them to install, I thought I would be nice and not ask why they didn't do it and make a scene about it.

So long story short, can anyone tell me how I can make my old master drive into a slave with all data on it intact?

All you need to do is connect the old drive to the empty connector on the cable the new one is attached to, set the jumpers so the new drive is master and the old drive is slave(or you can use cable select jumper settings if you prefer) Then mount the drive.
Refer to the Drive manufacturers' sites for jumper settings if they aren't printed on the labels.

I'd also suggest partitioning the old drive, using Partition Magic or something else that will allow you to do it without destroying the data, then move the data you want to keep onto partitions away from where the old system partition is. Then Format the old system partition. I also recommend partitioning the new drive if they didn't do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back