Chassis Fan Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe1972

When installing a chassis fan, as in the fan in the front of the case, should the air be pulling into the case to be creating an airflow through the case, or blowing out like the fans on the back of the case? Thanks.

Gabe1972 said:
should the air be pulling into the case to be creating an airflow through the case, or blowing out like the fans on the back of the case?
it should "pull" the air in. if you choose to mount a fan in the front of a case, it should be and intake fan. since the rear and top of the case are generally exhuast fans, the air has to come from somewhere.

NFSFAN said:
It should be blowing out :knock: It should no be putting air inside because it cannot
huh??? :confused: what do you mean it cannot? of course it can. if the other fans are all exhuast fans, and you also make the front fan exhuast as well, then where will the cooler ambient air come from?? doing this would not only make the fans work harder, but will likely make them louder as well.

Thanks KingCody. I figured that was the way it was supposed to be, but I wasn't sure. It's running very cool now, but I want to install one before summer hits hard. I also agree...What do you mean it cannot? All you have to do is turn the fan around. The mounting holes are the same.

front and side intake ----> top and rear exhaust. that's the general rule.

i suppose there would be no harm in making the front an exhuast fan as long as there is another place for the air to enter (such as the side). but i would still tend to think a front intake design would be more efficient.

Oh and by the way, welcome to techspot :)

Thanks for the welcome. The case doesn't really have enough "open" area on the sides or anywhere else to really enable all to be exhausts. I'm going to get a decent fan from Newegg to install in the front as an intake. I have an 80mm one from an old power supply, but it is only two prong. I just keep it as a spare just in case I need it while waiting for a new one to come in. I'm not going to spend a ton on one, as I didn't spend a whole lot on this setup. I used everything but the case, processor and board out of an old HP. I just wanted an Ahtlon 64 setup. It was worth it. I will get an Athlon 64 X2 when I win the lottery...LOL.

Gabe1972 said:
I have an 80mm one from an old power supply, but it is only two prong
2 prong fans and 3 prong fans are pretty much the same thing, the only difference is that the 2 prong doesn't have the speed sensor wire. the fan itself still works the same.
Gabe1972 said:
I used everything but the case, processor and board out of an old HP
are you using and old HP power supply as well?

Not the original OEM power supply that it came with, but one that I had bought as an upgrade so I could run a Geforce 6800. It's a 450w. As for the fan, I just want to use the three prong so asus probe can monitor it.

wolfram said:
KingCody said:
where will the cooler ambient air come from??
Well, that rule doesn't apply here in my room :haha: Right now my room is at 92° F :hotouch:
sure it does... i didn't say cool air, I said cooler air. reguardless of how hot your room temp is, it is still almost always cooler than the air inside your PC case.

I know how you feel wolf, the last few days have been 95F here too ;)

It's still damn hot here, 93°F right now with a lot of damn humidity. If I dare to turn on the AC, the humidity raises a lot :( . I don't know how this poor PC is still at 39° C CPU and 40° case :)

And I have 1 front fan as intake, and 1 exhaust fan. That's the best way to cool a PC I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back