cheap gfx card req'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

vega

I'm on the market for a decent ati card to replace my damaged 9500 (softmodded) but don't want to settle for its current equivelant - the 9600 as my modded 9500 in conjunction with an amd 1.7 usually pushed around 11,500 in 3d mark 2001 and I can't see any 9600's offering that kind of performance, I'm not keen on spending hundreds on a gfx card but just need something with an edge over the 9600 - is the 9800 se any good?
I'd love to hear your views.
Also, any idea who the cheapest gfx card retailers in the uk are?

9800SE = slow

I would look for a Radeon 9600Pro/XT or Radeon 9700, depending on how much you are willing to spend.

You might be ablet to find a 9700NP in that price range, but I'm not sure... They're few and far between...

Use the PriceWatch feature of this site to find the cheapest radeons...

Originally posted by tripleione
9800SE = slow
That card will softmod into a 9800 Pro = F..Fast

The Hercules brand 9800SE All-in-Wonder version is tops when de-cloaked due to being identical to 9800 Pro hardware, plus you have the All-in-Wonder features. You have a 50% chance of the softmod working, but even without the softmod, you will get 9600XT performance (hercules brand only). These cards are selling like hot cakes, so you'll be lucky to find anywhere that has them in stock. I'm still waiting for mine to turn up. :)

Check out this review ...

Hercules 9800SE All-In-Wonder - Hexus.net

Thanks for the input people but I have to admit being somewhat disillusioned with my choices - my softmodded 9500 cost me £109 and went like the proverbial clappers - if I buy a 9600 XT or pro, even though it'd cost more than my old 9500, even the xt would'nt come close to my 9500's speed and the only way I can get that kind of performance is by spending anything from £240 up.
Its times like these that you suddenly realise that the prices charged these days for a gfx card are way overpriced for what they offer - whilst in the city centre today, I've come across a great many shops selling xbox's complete with games and controllers for £129 - I have to admit, even I as a veteran pc gamer was tempted!

I love pc games, but I also have an xbox with a component video connection to a 57' high def hitachi tv- a rig that is still cheaper than what I paid for my PC gaming system. I know console gameing is about as popular here as a fart in an elevator, but guess how mad I'm gonna be when my PC wont play Half Life 2 with out making me vomit or have a siezure~ unless of course I buy a new $300 grafix card and hope it gets along with my tv tuner card and windows media center- MADDNESS!

Now I must go sit on the couch and play Prince of Persia (Xbox)- it is truly stunning in progressive scan- no software OR hardware updates to worry about either...

Console games cost a lot more to buy (than PC games, which also reach the bargain bin sooner) due to licencing rights. You can't on them running on the next generation of consoles, so you need to keep your old console if you wish to run those games in the future.

Xbox is reallly the first console capable of being compared to the pc and as far as software cost is concerned, I only have time to play 1 or 2 titles a month at the most and they are usually new games= $50 for an Xbox game/ $50 for a pc game no diff

Originally posted by Nic
That card will softmod into a 9800XT = F..Fast

The Hercules brand 9800SE All-in-Wonder version is tops when de-cloaked due to being identical to 9800XT hardware, plus you have the All-in-Wonder features. You have a 50% chance of the softmod working, but even without the softmod, you will get 9600XT performance (hercules brand only). These cards are selling like hot cakes, so you'll be lucky to find anywhere that has them in stock. I'm still waiting for mine to turn up. :)

Check out this review ...

Hercules 9800SE All-In-Wonder - Hexus.net

It doesn't mod into a 9800XT... as far as I know it will mod into a 9800. And even that isn't garunteed, like you said.

I guess if you need the AIW portion of the card or you have a lot of money to throw around, that would make a very good option... but personally when I buy something I want to know exactly what my hardware will be able to do.

Word, if you get a 9800SE, you have to be sure you're getting the right one and from a good manufacturer that produces one that's capable of such. I have also heard Hercule's AIW 9800SE is a good example of one that will successfully softmod, but there are those cards out there that wont. Go to their website to check out which board designs you need to look for.

the ati radeon 9800 non pro and nvidia geforce fx5900 non ultra are rock solid buys goin at $200USD a piece. they can be easily modded to pro/xt/ultra levels and are great performers out of box.

Update ...

Hercules Radeon AIW 9800SE was discontinued on 31 Dec 2003 (note: the 9800 non-pro was also discontinued earlier). It seems that the card was affecting sales of higher end product. This model card sold out over the XMAS period, and I had to source my card from a different supplier as my original supplier could not get any new stock. I was lucky and found a store that had one remaining in stock, though it cost me about £15 extra to get it (compared to my original order). If you want one of these cards, then snap it up on sight, as they will become increasingly hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back