Cheap Graphic Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

taimuraly

Hi there, well the tilte says it all, I need to upgrade my Pc and so would like a cheap graphic card , $ 280 - 300, which is able to play all of the following games :-
F.E.A.R
DOOM 3
Quake 4
Serious Sam 2
Battlefield 2
Age of Empires 2
Sims 2
Half Life 2
Vampires
Need for Speed Most Wanted

The graphic card should be able to play all these game on medium or high if possible. And please dont give the ATI is better for some games and Nvidia on others ****, just keep it simple and choose either ATI or Nvidia. And most important is that it should be an AGP graphic card as my motherbaord doesnt have PCI Express. :( By repling you will not only be helping me but helping many other gamers who dont have the cash to spend on a new PC. Thanks in advance. :angel:

I forgot to mention that it can be $ 50 more than the budget. Actually I mean to say that if a better graphic card can be bought by adding a few bucks or so, then to forget to mention that too. Thanks and sorry for any confusions.

wait, i thought you said Cheap graphic card..... $200-$300 can get you one of the VERY BEST graphic cards

I went for a "cheap" card. I bought a 6600GT for $120 off of newegg.com. I can see you're wanting something more than this, but from what I've read, the 6600GT will play all the games you mentioned at medium settings or better (of course, this depends on the rest of your components). Now I've got some money to buy a couple of games, too! (look under the consoles and gaming section, find my post, and give some suggestions if you have some. Thanks.)

Regards

If you can stand $59 over budget, then you can score an SLI motherboard as well as a 7800 GT by ordering an eVGA Geforce 7800 GT here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130238

Make sure to TICK the checkbox under Combo Specials to get the motherboard along with it.

Of course, if you don't have a socket 939 CPU then that won't be the last dollar you spend...but it is a great deal and fairly close to your budget so I thought I'd mention it

Here's the motherboard alone so you can check for compatibility purposes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188002

fury said:
If you can stand $59 over budget, then you can score an SLI motherboard as well as a 7800 GT by ordering an eVGA Geforce 7800 GT here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130238

Make sure to TICK the checkbox under Combo Specials to get the motherboard along with it.

Of course, if you don't have a socket 939 CPU then that won't be the last dollar you spend...but it is a great deal and fairly close to your budget so I thought I'd mention it

Here's the motherboard alone so you can check for compatibility purposes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188002

As a bonus, there was a guy on another forum who ordered that combo, and the motherboard shipped broken... He RMA'd and they sent him a new KIT! so now he has 2 7800GTs in SLI with a mobo, for the price of one 7800GT...

lol win!

Thanks for the suggestion, but how exactly will I know that I have a " socket 939 CPU ". And actually I am going wait for the 7800 GS AGP to come out before buying any upgrades. ( found a site that said might release on the 2nd of Feb this year )

taimuraly said:
...but how exactly will I know that I have a " socket 939 CPU ".
You can download and run the free CPU-Z utility program or you can just post the brand and model motherboard you have and we can tell you.

You might not like my views but instead of spending $300 on an agp card, you really would be better off buying a PCIE board (preferably nforce4 ultra) and a pcie 6600GT or a 6800. This will make ur system little future proof in the long run. If u dont ve a 939 cpu, get a cheap athlon64 3000+ and when u have more money u can always upgrade to a high end CPU and graphics card. The nforce4 board supports even dual core x2 cpus and the 7800gtx 512mb monster.
The 6600GT is a pretty powerful GPU and i can assure you it will run all the games u mentioned at medium graphics settings.( of course you need to have at least 512MB RAM!!). BTW the BFG 6600GT OC is one of the fastest cards in its class.
And you can always sell your old motherboard to pool in some $s for your new system!!
Btw, FEAR and NFS MW really ROCKS!!
Happy gaming!!

Thanks for all the help !!!

:D I have finnaly found a great AGP card and I am eager to buy it. Its the Nvidia 7800 GS at $ 300 :giddy: . Thats less than the 6800 Gt for almost the same performance (even better in some cases) :slurp: . And being the 7 series, it supports all the specifications required for new games. :stickout:

You went for the monster card! Nice choice. Is your PSU going to be able to handle that bad boy?

Is there any other way?!

Hi all
I wanted to know is there any onther way i can play the Sims 2 without a graphics card? Like can i download something on my computer so it will work right? I got it yesterday, installed it, and it says it cant find any compatible adapter in my computer!!! What do i do?! All advice is helpful!!! :evil:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

gothicgal14 said:
Hi all
I wanted to know is there any onther way i can play the Sims 2 without a graphics card? Like can i download something on my computer so it will work right? I got it yesterday, installed it, and it says it cant find any compatible adapter in my computer!!! What do i do?! All advice is helpful!!! :evil:

What graphics card do you have?

Here are the Sims 2 system requirements.

Minimum System Requirements for The Sims 2

If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM then you need at least:

* 800 MHz processor or better
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000
* At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

If you have a non-T&L capable video card (an Intel Extreme Graphics or a Radeon 7000/VE Series) then you need at least:

* 2.0 GHz processor or better
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
* At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

Get the most current driver for your video card. The manufacturers usually have the video drivers on their sites for you to download. Visit the nVidia site, the ATI site or the support site for your computer's manufacturer for the latest drivers for those video cards.

Supported video cards (and the more video memory the better):

* ATI RadeonTM series (7000 or better)
o Radeon 7000/VE series (non-T&L; requires 2.0 GHz processor)
o 7200, 7500
o 8500, All-In-Wonder 8500
o 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800
o X300, X600, X800

* Nvidia® QuadroTM series
o Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4

* Nvidia® Geforce series (GeForce2 and better)
o GeForce2
o GeForce3, 3 Ti
o GeForce4, 4Ti, MX 420, 440
o GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950
o GeForce 6600, 6800

* Intel® Extreme Graphics (non-T&L; requires 2.0 GHz processor)
o 82845, 82865, 82915

If your system doesn`t meet the above requirements, you will need to upgrade your graphics card.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back