Check out the final trailer for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Lucasfilm during Monday Night Football’s halftime show premiered the final trailer for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. “The saga will end, the story lives forever,” the tagline reads. Judging by early reactions and presales, this could be one of the most important Star Wars releases in years.

The Rise of Skywalker is the third and final installment in the sequel trilogy. Disney hasn’t been overly forthcoming with details although we do know that the film will feature a battle between the First Order and the Resistance as well as the Jedi and the Sith.

We got our first look at the new film courtesy of a teaser shared back in April. A second teaser published in late August offered up some additional footage but neither carried the emotional weight that C-3PO delivered in the latest trailer with the lines, “Taking one last look, sir. At my friends.”

The Rise of Skywalker is off to a solid start. According to Atom Tickets, the film sold 45 percent more tickets in the first hour of its presale than Avengers: Endgame did. That could be telling considering many recognize Avengers: Endgame as the highest-grossing film of all time.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker hits theaters on December 20.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I just can't get excited for it. On top of all the nothing that happened in TLJ, bringing Palpatine back just doesn't feel right.

It could be THE most exciting one yet .... but frankly they should have stopped after the first three .... this saga is WAY used up, over used, abused and no longer enthuses ......

It could be THE most exciting one yet .... but frankly they should have stopped after the first three .... this saga is WAY used up, over used, abused and no longer enthuses ......
The books and comics are fantastic, too bad Disney threw all that out the window....

Episodes 3 through 7 were pretty good. Episode 8 threw everything out the window and Disney cancelled all the books and comics without finishing the stories after buying Lucas so they could milk the ever living s*** out of it.

I just can't get excited for it. On top of all the nothing that happened in TLJ, bringing Palpatine back just doesn't feel right.
Palpatine had a space station of clones of himself hidden in the unknown regions that he could transfer his Conciousness into in the event of his death. But Ray was actually based off of Luke's male son who he had with his wife where they lived in seclusion on that planet together.

But before he died, palpatine felt snoke's presence through the force and could snoke was even more powerful than him. He essentially created the empire to protect himself as he experimented with sith technology to make himself immortal.

But Ray kills snoke without any effort. Now a leaked version of the new movie is suggesting that snoke was actually palpatine even though snoke taught the dark side but was never a sith and never even followed sith teachings.

Last edited:
I won't be seeing this in the theater. I will wait until it comes out on disk. I hope JJ Abrams did not ruin this one like The Force Awakens and Star Trek: Into Darkness.

The books and comics are fantastic, too bad Disney threw all that out the window....
The Clone Wars (the movie and the series) was also excellent, IMO. I am also 3/4 of the way through Rebels, too. I have to admit that while I am finding the series enjoyable, so far, I think The Clone Wars was better. Then again, I think Rebels was an entirely Disney series while The Clone Wars was not. Maybe that is the reason.

I am hoping that Rebels Season 4 rises to the level of The Clone Wars. I'll found out soon as I intend to borrow it from my local library tonight - if it is still on the shelves when I get there to return Season 3.

The Clone Wars (the movie and the series) was also excellent, IMO. I am also 3/4 of the way through Rebels, too. I have to admit that while I am finding the series enjoyable, so far, I think The Clone Wars was better. Then again, I think Rebels was an entirely Disney series while The Clone Wars was not. Maybe that is the reason.

I am hoping that Rebels Season 4 rises to the level of The Clone Wars. I'll found out soon as I intend to borrow it from my local library tonight - if it is still on the shelves when I get there to return Season 3.
The corny love story part of it was almost as bad as jar jar Binks for me. However, I will agree that everything besides that was excellent.

Palpatine had a space station of clones of himself hidden in the unknown regions that he could transfer his Conciousness into in the event of his death.
I'm aware of that, but there has been no foreshadowing in any of the movies for this. It's pretty sad that the first reveal of him in this trilogy is a teaser trailer for this last movie...

The corny love story part of it was almost as bad as jar jar Binks for me. However, I will agree that everything besides that was excellent.
Which one? Padme and Anakin, Jar Jar and Queen Julia? Something I have not seen yet in Rebels?

Jar Jar was in seven Clone Wars episodes. While still cringe-worthy at times, I thought his character was significantly better in The Clone Wars.

And to mention it, Anakin in The Clone Wars was, IMO, completely different than the Anakin in Revenge of the Sith.

The Clone Wars might have been an attempt by Lucas to overcome the negative reactions to Episodes I, II, and III - which I rewatched after watching The Clone Wars and I did not like them any more than I did the first time.

Which one? Padme and Anakin, Jar Jar and Queen Julia? Something I have not seen yet in Rebels?

Jar Jar was in seven Clone Wars episodes. While still cringe-worthy at times, I thought his character was significantly better in The Clone Wars.

And to mention it, Anakin in The Clone Wars was, IMO, completely different than the Anakin in Revenge of the Sith.

The Clone Wars might have been an attempt by Lucas to overcome the negative reactions to Episodes I, II, and III - which I rewatched after watching The Clone Wars and I did not like them any more than I did the first time.
I'm thinking of episode 2, sorry for not being clearer about that

It feels like they're grasping for straws while trying to figure out how to win fans back. TLJ did everyone dirty.

Actually, I thought TLJ was the better of the two, and some comments about it on IMDB, for me, amounted to a lack of knowledge of mysticism.

TFA, on the other hand, was like seeing A New Hope poorly remade by Abrams - just like his other remade mess, ST: Into Darkness. ST: ID, IMO, was worth "Two Howls Up".

Actually, I thought TLJ was the better of the two, and some comments about it on IMDB, for me, amounted to a lack of knowledge of mysticism.

TFA, on the other hand, was like seeing A New Hope poorly remade by Abrams - just like his other remade mess, ST: Into Darkness. ST: ID, IMO, was worth "Two Howls Up".
Well, as someone who has been reading the comics and books for the last ~15 years, Disney screwed up the lore so badly for their own political agenda that I can't forgive them for it. I will see the new movie, but I won't forgive them for it. Star killer base was way smaller but also way more badass than in the movie. It essentially just destroyed the star which killed the entire solar system. It was also a lot smaller than the death star.

The characters were wrong, snoke never died, Ray was supposed to be a boy and Luke was married.

Even more interesting, Luke tried to end the way of the Jedi because he saw that to bring balance to the force you need both light and dark. Luke developed a type of lightside force lighting which was only thought to be a dark side power.

Realizing this, Luke ended up agreeing with the sith idea that the Jedi were actually bad for the Galaxy and they were essentially forcing their ideas on the republic. The Jedi ended up being the same as the sith but they used the lightside instead of the dark side.

The main idea of the light and dark side was that dark side users bent the force to their will and lightside users let the force guide them. This is contradictory in that the force's will can either go light or dark. You can't follow the will of the force if you only choose one side of this. This was the main reason that Luke abandoned trying to bring the Jedi back.

Well, as someone who has been reading the comics and books for the last ~15 years, Disney screwed up the lore so badly for their own political agenda that I can't forgive them for it. I will see the new movie, but I won't forgive them for it. Star killer base was way smaller but also way more badass than in the movie. It essentially just destroyed the star which killed the entire solar system. It was also a lot smaller than the death star.

The characters were wrong, snoke never died, Ray was supposed to be a boy and Luke was married.

Even more interesting, Luke tried to end the way of the Jedi because he saw that to bring balance to the force you need both light and dark. Luke developed a type of lightside force lighting which was only thought to be a dark side power.

Realizing this, Luke ended up agreeing with the sith idea that the Jedi were actually bad for the Galaxy and they were essentially forcing their ideas on the republic. The Jedi ended up being the same as the sith but they used the lightside instead of the dark side.

The main idea of the light and dark side was that dark side users bent the force to their will and lightside users let the force guide them. This is contradictory in that the force's will can either go light or dark. You can't follow the will of the force if you only choose one side of this. This was the main reason that Luke abandoned trying to bring the Jedi back.
Interesting post.

I wonder whether it was Abrams or some other Disney "genius" that really screwed things up with TFA. George Lucas was one who was not at all happy with what Abrams did to TFA ( https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/george-lucas-disappointed-force-awakens-bob-iger-1202176208 ) and Abrams is listed as one of the writers for the film. (Interestingly enough, Abrams is not listed as a writer for ST: Into Darkness.)

I'm OK with the gender switch, but neglecting the light vs dark aspect likely took away a depth aspect to the film that I would have appreciated.

I have not read any of the comics, but the idea of balancing the light and dark sides was present, as I see it anyway, in Rebels - specifically Ahsoka Tano. She had left the Jedi order and at one point, someone calls her a Jedi and she says, "I'm no Jedi" and in another scene literally wipes the floor with the two sith inquisitors who attack her. I've read some speculation on the net that mentions her being a "Grey Jedi" - in other words - a "force wielder" that uses both the light and the dark aspects of the force.

Also, the Third season of Rebels has a character The Bendu (voiced by the former Doctor Who, Tom Baker) who states something along the same lines that the character uses both light and dark aspects of the force and follows neither. IIRC, the character talks about how it is unbalanced to use either side exclusively.

Honestly, I hate it when themes like these are removed for whatever reason. For me, they bring a great deal of depth and thoughtfulness to movies. I much prefer movies like that than non-stop slugfests.

It sounds like you would know that within the bounds of mystical (of the force or otherwise), is the ability to be in two places at once - such as a few scenes in TLJ with Luke.

This emphasize the reason why so many people are blindly hating on the new movies, like some spoiled children, they had a "vision", an idea about how things were supposed to be but they didn't receive that but something else, it didn't matter if it was good or bad it was different and that was reason enough to hate it.

The funny thing is that probably even receiving what they wanted they wouldn't be happy because at the end of the day they don't even know what they want they just remember the feeling they had when they started the saga probably as a child and like any junkie they seem trapped trying to find that feeling again but what they don't remember is that to get that feeling you have to remember that when you saw the first thing about Star Wars you probably didn't even know what it was and you didn't have preconceived notions about how it was supposed to be and that's why they are going to hate probably everything that comes afterward even if as times goes on they understand they were wrong.

This emphasize the reason why so many people are blindly hating on the new movies, like some spoiled children, they had a "vision", an idea about how things were supposed to be but they didn't receive that but something else, it didn't matter if it was good or bad it was different and that was reason enough to hate it.

The funny thing is that probably even receiving what they wanted they wouldn't be happy because at the end of the day they don't even know what they want they just remember the feeling they had when they started the saga probably as a child and like any junkie they seem trapped trying to find that feeling again but what they don't remember is that to get that feeling you have to remember that when you saw the first thing about Star Wars you probably didn't even know what it was and you didn't have preconceived notions about how it was supposed to be and that's why they are going to hate probably everything that comes afterward even if as times goes on they understand they were wrong.
You have no idea why people are mad

You have no idea why people are mad
I do in fact, I know personally some of them and even though I share the same level of appreciation for the Star Wars saga it just amaze me how this have been blown out of proportions to the point that logical thinking and comprehension cannot be used to explain anything about it, it just hate just because at the end.

I do in fact, I know personally some of them and even though I share the same level of appreciation for the Star Wars saga it just amaze me how this have been blown out of proportions to the point that logical thinking and comprehension cannot be used to explain anything about it, it just hate just because at the end.
Hundreds of books, thousands of comics books. Thousands of hours of episodes from TV shows building up the lore. It's not the diversion from the lore that annoys us the most(although it does very much annoy us). It's Disney's destruction of previous cannon stories to push a social justice agenda. George Lucas and even the actors have all spoken out against Disney's treatment of starwars.

They politicized starwars when all it ever was supposed to be was a space fantasy story for people of all ages to enjoy. Not only that, Disney cancelled a number of books I've been waiting for because theyre cannon now and everything else is ledgends.

George Lucas you say? I assume then that you have read about his plans for the trilogy before Disney took over, personally I think it was for the best Star Wars is not on his hands even though now the lot of you are making him look trustful knowing the backlash had he decided to greenlight his ideas. That all that complicated content was deemed uncannon was the logical move to make, you cannot advance the trilogy any further when there is some obscure cannon comic talking about the Luke's children and stuff, that's not social justice agenda and better stop that narrative it sounds childish. Going to my first comment about the spoiled children that didn't receive what they wanted and now is making a tantrum.

George Lucas you say? I assume then that you have read about his plans for the trilogy before Disney took over, personally I think it was for the best Star Wars is not on his hands even though now the lot of you are making him look trustful knowing the backlash had he decided to greenlight his ideas. That all that complicated content was deemed uncannon was the logical move to make, you cannot advance the trilogy any further when there is some obscure cannon comic talking about the Luke's children and stuff, that's not social justice agenda and better stop that narrative it sounds childish. Going to my first comment about the spoiled children that didn't receive what they wanted and now is making a tantrum.
Receive what we wanted? You mean Disney destroying the work of thousands of writers and artists over the last ~50? If all you're trying to be a jerk on a forum for no other reason than to just be a jerk, congrats. You ignored what I said an only focused on things that you could bend to make sound like you have a point. We do know what happened because there are ~100ish books about what happened after the death of the death star.

Not comics. Not cartoons. Books. Maybe instead.of just talking about George Lucas you should do some research into what the other actors said. They had insight into what exactly was in George's work. I'd go over it with you but I'm busy having a tantrum

Receive what we wanted? You mean Disney destroying the work of thousands of writers and artists over the last ~50? If all you're trying to be a jerk on a forum for no other reason than to just be a jerk, congrats. You ignored what I said an only focused on things that you could bend to make sound like you have a point. We do know what happened because there are ~100ish books about what happened after the death of the death star.

Not comics. Not cartoons. Books. Maybe instead.of just talking about George Lucas you should do some research into what the other actors said. They had insight into what exactly was in George's work. I'd go over it with you but I'm busy having a tantrum
Looks like YOU don't have insight about what George Lucas had about the sequels, because he has already talked about it and I'm not talking about actors insinuating anything and it doesn't look good.

You think that Disney should have kept 50 years of comics and books canon that just the hardcore fans have read and build a new trilogy from that? or probably make a trilogy based on the books and comics so it can be criticized for not being the same while at the same time being criticized for not being something new? It doesn't make sense specially if you are trying to make money out of it and that's what created the saga in the first place, to make money not anything else.

Back