Checking system temp w\o reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

harley007

So i am wondering how do i check my system temp without rebooting and going into the bios. Is this possible or not? Do you have a dl you could refer me to. any help is apreciated. Thanx.

Originally posted by harley007
So i am wondering how do i check my system temp without rebooting and going into the bios. Is this possible or not? Do you have a dl you could refer me to. any help is apreciated. Thanx.

MotherBoard monitor will do it. Also depending on what kind of motherboard you have, you should have a utility for keeping an eye on system temps and voltages and fan speeds etc.

You can get MBM here

Motherboard Monitor

I use Motherboard monitor and it gives you plenty of system info including processor heat, chipset temp, system temp, fan speed, etc.

I highly recommend it!!!

I use Vcool. I would use this if you have a Duron/Athlon processor because the program can lower the temp of your cpu when it is at idle. When my duron sits idle it can drop to 27C when the ambient temp in the case is 26C. The program can also display fan speeds. I've used MBM before and its got a lot more features but I switched to Vcool because it is a lot smaller program with all the info I need.

You can get it at www.majorgeeks.com

supra, have you seen any freeze up issues with the Vcool? I tried one similar to that in the past and I would get random freeze ups..

Note that Vcool changes some registery settings and this is why it lowers the idle temperature of the CPU. This is more than likely the culprit of the freeze-ups. I personally did the registry changes myself without using Vcool and got very good results (17 degrees Fahrenhiet lower).

If you want to know some more about the method I used look here:

http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=531

Anyway, Motherboard Monitor simply monitors the temps and doesn't change any settings.

I was using WPcreset and WPcredit with Win ME and it seemed to work pretty good. Once I upgraded to Win2k the freeze ups started..Ive gotten no better results yet with XP. I'll give Vcool a shot and see what happens with XP.

One issue with reg edits is that if the edit causes freezes or lockups it may be tough reversing them. With a utility program you may have better luck of changing the settings back to default upon uninstall.

I can't say i've ever had any probs caused by VCool. I use Win98SE and i've been using VCool for about three to four months.

You don't really uninstall it, you just delete the folder that you unzipped it into. It doesn't show up in the Add/Remove programs window. I've never had to delete it from my comp but I'm sure that just deleting the folder won't get ride of the settings it makes to cool the cpu during idle. It has a registry entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER --> Software --> MPET. To get rid of the settings completely this folder probably needs to be deleted manually.

Its probably changing some registry settings and without an unistall those registry settings will not change back to default. Im just a bit leary because I would be putting it on XP.

Thanks for the info..

To tell you the truth I've never used Windows XP before so I don't know if or how the registry is different from Win98 or if there is even a registry editor for XP.

yeah, regedit is still there.

I like tweaking but I also know I should do it. I really need stability over anything else. I guess my next rig will be a P4 so I wont have to worry about this heat thing anymore..

harley, what kind of system board do you have? Depending on it, some manufacturers have proprietary software that can detect it.

Motherboard Monitor fits into a 5 1/4 bay, and has wires running to thermistors that you can place pretty much anywhere in your computer, video card, CPU heatsink, hard drives, PSU, mainboard itself or just in your case. It's very useful, but ASUS sysbo's actually have thermistors right under your CPU and on the system board, which communicates to the ASUSProbe software, which is what I use. There are also several other choices...

How to check graphiccard temperature?
Heat Monitoring Tools
Cooling Monitor

Just so you know Supra and others, the "cooling" feature of programs like CPUCOOL, Vcool, etc, aren't needed in Win2k/XP/NT as those OS have their own halt/idle process. Win9x (ME is a 9x OS) does not have that and therefore the processor is considered to be in 100% usage at all times.

But you don't really need that in 2k/XP/NT/et cetera.

Originally posted by Soul Harvester
the "cooling" feature of programs like CPUCOOL, Vcool, etc, aren't needed in Win2k/XP/NT as those OS have their own halt/idle process. Win9x (ME is a 9x OS) does not have that and therefore the processor is considered to be in 100% usage at all times.

But you don't really need that in 2k/XP/NT/et cetera.
NT OS's use HLT instruction if ACPI is enabled and OS is using it.. If your PC is "Standard PC", it won't cool down without 3rd party apps.

VCool does not change any Windows Registry information (except for the storage of its local data, like interface colors, etc) just like any other program.

That cooling effect is achieved by tweaking the CHIPSETs registers and those are reset on each reboot.

If you don't run VCool it will not have any impact on your system other than the few bytes in the regsitry (and HDD) and an unused driver (on NT,W2K, XP) that gets paged out since it is not used.

BTW: On some chipsets even installing an ACPI aware OS doesn't activate the power saving states because the chipset prevents it - that's when you need tool like VCool.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
NT OS's use HLT instruction if ACPI is enabled and OS is using it.. If your PC is "Standard PC", it won't cool down without 3rd party apps.

Hmmmm... I didn't know what... where can I find more information on that? Microsofts "help" database didn't have crap on it.

p4s0-vx is the name on my mobo when I open up the case. MBM5 didn't detect it under intel I'm pretty sure it's intel theres the intel P4 sticker on my computer. So chose something close to it. It's says my cpu temp is 96 degrees it was 100 earlier. Now its 37 degrees celcius hehe those were in farenheit. Anyway I want to know how hot my motherboard and cpu is running . My case temp is 38 degrees. mbm under cpu shows my 2791 MHZ and 0 percent under CPU0 and Cpu 1. How can I find my cpu temp. I want to know if my power supply is dying and it's making my cpu overheat.

This is a easy one,, soo many temp apps out there,

Also remember you want to get load temps,, so check those temps as you game or whatever you do.,,

gl,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back