Chevrolet unveils the E-Ray, the first hybrid AWD Corvette

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: Chevrolet has unveiled the world's first electrified Corvette, a hybrid featuring the company's 6.2L LT2 small block V8 working in tandem with an electric motor to put additional power to the pavement through the front wheels.

The Corvette E-Ray's gas-powered LT2 supplies 495 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque to the rear axle while the electric motor adds an additional 160 horsepower and 125 lb-ft of torque up front via a 1.9 kWh battery pack. Combined, you get an all-wheel drive Corvette making 655 horsepower that can sprint from zero to 60 mph in just 2.5 seconds and tackle the quarter mile in 10.5 seconds flat. Impressive.

It is the quickest production Corvette in history.

Other notables include standard Brembo carbon ceramic brakes, magnetic ride control with three distinct suspension settings, a lightweight lithium-ion 12-volt battery to run the LT2's start/stop functionality and staggered 20- and 21-inch wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport all-season tires. The rear tires are 345/25ZR21 – absolute steamrollers.

The E-Ray is not a hybrid in the traditional sense as there is no plug-in for its battery system. Instead, the battery is charged via regenerative energy from braking and coasting as well as during normal driving.

Chevy's latest has two driver-initiated electric modes. Stealth mode enables all-electric driving up to 45 mph and is meant for situations where you do not want to alert everyone to your presence, like when entering or exiting your neighborhood. The gas-powered engine automatically engages past 45 mph, or when the E-Ray's battery is depleted.

Under spirited driving conditions, the electric motor is primarily used to boost grip and enhance performance.

The new Corvette will also be highly customizable. Chevy touts 14 exterior color choices, four aluminum wheel finishes, a body-length stripe package, seven interior colors, three seat options and plenty of optional carbon fiber accents.

The 2024 Corvette E-Ray is slated to launch later this year starting at $104,295 for the 1LZ coupe or $111,295 for the 1LZ convertible model.

Permalink to story.

Love the car, but none of the tech is new and the article fails to go into the tech anyway. This is just another light touch motoring article.

Is techspot about tech or a general news site now?

Love the car, but none of the tech is new and the article fails to go into the tech anyway. This is just another light touch motoring article.

Is techspot about tech or a general news site now?
It's a Shawn article, this is to be expected. Trying to write about cars but he doesn't understand the difference between hybrid and plug I'm hybrid. Most hybrids are not plug in hybrids so him saying it is not a traditional hybrid is inaccurate

It's a Shawn article, this is to be expected. Trying to write about cars but he doesn't understand the difference between hybrid and plug I'm hybrid. Most hybrids are not plug in hybrids so him saying it is not a traditional hybrid is inaccurate

My 14 year old daughter knows more about cars (especially high-end, overpriced cars and anything F1 related) than any other person I've met. We've been to car shows and she wows the grown men that have been into cars for decades with her knowledge. She'll have full on conversations about a car, it's history, the manufacturer's history and so on.....it's mind boggling. She's not so much into older cars, but she does have some she really likes and knows just as much about them. Maybe she needs to write technical stories for cars here on TS?

My 14 year old daughter knows more about cars (especially high-end, overpriced cars and anything F1 related) than any other person I've met. We've been to car shows and she wows the grown men that have been into cars for decades with her knowledge. She'll have full on conversations about a car, it's history, the manufacturer's history and so on.....it's mind boggling. She's not so much into older cars, but she does have some she really likes and knows just as much about them. Maybe she needs to write technical stories for cars here on TS?
You'll get no argument from me but it's no my choice. And that's awesome she's into cars. My love for cars is why I minored in mechanical engineering

Seems like a cool car, but I wonder how much it costs to replace those carbon ceramic brakes. I'm just trying to get what people this car is targeting?

Maybe its just the beginning and cheapest way to get people used to electric in vettes and opening up the whole idea of Corvette as a brand and not a model. Been hearing tons of rumors that GM wants Corvette to be like Porsche.

Seems like a cool car, but I wonder how much it costs to replace those carbon ceramic brakes. I'm just trying to get what people this car is targeting?

Maybe its just the beginning and cheapest way to get people used to electric in vettes and opening up the whole idea of Corvette as a brand and not a model. Been hearing tons of rumors that GM wants Corvette to be like Porsche.
The corvette has long become a premium product for people to spend way too much money on. The 5th gen was the least one that was reasonably priced for the layman. It was truly over once the 8th gen chased the mid engine meme and tried to compete with European brands like ferrari.
I really don't get the attraction of a sports car that's automatic. Manual transmission makes machine and man feel one imo.
The attraction in in things like handling. Manuals are fun, of course, but that's only part of the picture, and there are many (myself included) that prefer the snappiness of these new fangled DCTs that shift in nanoseconds. Dealing with a manual in modern city traffic is just a nightmare.

My daughter is upset by the choices of these car companies. From what I gathered about what she told me earlier today, the corvette V8 ICE will no longer be produced after this year and it's going electric. She's upset they're discontinuing the Camaro, too. She may not be a fan of the Camaro per se, but she is a fan of muscle cars - especially ones from the 60s and 70s.

She's 14 and she greatly dislikes electric vehicles. One example she tells me about is: she hates Formula E and that it needs to die.

She hates that EV are silent and hates the fake pumped in sounds some of the manufacturers are adding to their EVs to make them sound more like the ICE versions.

She loves the sound that ICE cars make. She got to sit in a 2016 (I think was the year, maybe 2017) Lamborghini this past summer and she spent 30 minutes talking with the owner. He then started it up for her and others to hear as he revved the engine. I've never seen my daughter smile so big before, not even after she earned her second dan for her black belt in taekwondo.

She's sad the Corvette is transitioning to electric and upset that the Mustang is looking to go electric in the next 5 years. She doesn't want cars to continue to go that route and she's upset they are.

My daughter is upset by the choices of these car companies. From what I gathered about what she told me earlier today, the corvette V8 ICE will no longer be produced after this year and it's going ev.

You sure this 14yo is not just a cover for your own feelings?

Anyway ice corvette is here to stay for at least another 14 years. Not heard that particular comment before but it is totally incorrect and sounds like someone causing trouble.

I was interested in knowing the battery size as that gives an idea about how much you can utilise the extra power or how far you could go in silent mode. 12v doesn't really tell me much as the remote control for my garage is also 12v. It turns out the battery size for the E-Ray is 1.9kWh which is roughly the same size as the battery on my electric unicycle. I guess that gives me an idea about how much I could utilise the extra power - it probably cuts out at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Is Hybrid designation of this car meant to save you gas or make you laugh hard and possibility scam you for its costs...?!

Is Hybrid designation of this car meant to save you gas or make you laugh hard and possibility scam you for its costs...?!
Hybrid at this level is about pushing even more power while meeting future emission requirements. GM is far from the first car makers to go this route.
You sure this 14yo is not just a cover for your own feelings?

Anyway ice corvette is here to stay for at least another 14 years. Not heard that particular comment before but it is totally incorrect and sounds like someone causing trouble.
There's tons of sites and reporters out there that regularly write about the "end of ICE" and how EVs will dominate "any day now". None of them are writing within the reals of normalcy.

Back