Chipmunks in my computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommalden

Hi, I am totally new to this sort of board and am in no way a computer guru. I am a housewife with issues (in more ways than one) and right now it is this darm computer that consumes me. I bought speakers and when I plugged them in everything sounds like chipmunks. As well, when I installed my daughters online school program the video clips run very fast as well. It is like everything is on fast forward. What should I do? I am sure this is an easy question for some but its a doozey for me.

momma-a

Maybe there is something wrong with your speakers as in that the wiring is incorrect whcih can cause the static. Is it static? Another option is to get another sound card. You can download sound drivers according to your current sound card. Please post more info as it is imperative in order to solve this problem. Info as in what sound rivers you have, sound card, and other things that may pertain to this issue.

I don't think it has anything to do with video/sound cards or even the speakers... It seems similar to a problem I heard of before - apparently some of the "less develloped" dual cores will run everything super fast...

Give us some details on your system..

Btw, when will we see you on Desperate Housewives?:p

Regards,

Korrupt

well......

I don't even watch that show!!! I guess I'm the only one eh?..........

My system eh? well, what I can tell you is this computer was a hand me down given to my non-profit by the DOD. Former govt. computer that a friend rebooted? and reset with the orginal program of Windows XP Pro.

As to the sound card I am not even sure how to find out what I have to any sort of definate. The name I could find is
Intel (R)82801BA/BAM AC'97 Auto Controller...and status is ok.

Not sure if this will help. It is just like everything is in fast forward.

I have had very good experience with ac'97. Although, does anything banging or interfering with the motherboard of the computer (big green square inside the computer that everything connects too)?

i know of this problem and have encountered it in numerous systems that use ac '97 WDM drivers, although the problem rarely does happen in windows XP. in simple terms, the problem is caused by a faulty driver (it is a software-based problem). it can be fixed by updating your drivers to a newer version. if you already have the most current driver installed, you will need to try an older one.

you need to acertain more facts about your computer. is it a mass-oroduced, branded OEM system, or is it a standard PC made from various manufacturer's parts. if you ahve the latter, you'll need to find out the make and model of your motherboard. cpu-z, a useful detection tool, can help you find out easily:

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-136.zip

where do I get a new driver download?

and which one would you suggest? I'm gonna go ahead and assume I do NOT have the latest one as this was an older govt. computer though it is a Pentium 4.

driver

How long does it usually take for a new audio/video driver to download? I'm the one with chipmunks in my 'puter and am trying the 'new driver' option. Do I uninstall the old one or will the new one over-ride it? Thanks for the help
C-

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Just install it over the top of the old driver. There shouldn`t be any problems.

As to how long it takes to download a driver, that depends on your connection speed, how fast the website is and how large the download is.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

mommalden said:
How long does it usually take for a new audio/video driver to download? I'm the one with chipmunks in my 'puter and am trying the 'new driver' option. Do I uninstall the old one or will the new one over-ride it? Thanks for the help
C-

It depends on what comes with the driver. If any bundled crap comes with it, or it has some stupid control panel, it could take longer that a plain old driver alone, which should be quite small (<10MB).

Now what? I downloaded a new driver (Realtek HD ALC 880 Audio CODECs v R1.47 for Win XP/2000/2003 (32/64 bits) and before that I uninstalled the old one, which by the way solved the problem of video running to fast....but now I have NO sound. And my system tools says I have no sound device. ?????

can't.......

find the new one that I downloaded. I know this sounds ridiculous but true....
(been away for a week so I'm just getting back....) Thanks ya'll

Its probably on your desktop or in My Documents. But just go ahead and re-download it, you might even figure out where you downloaded the first one if you didn't change anything since.

um.....

I unzipped? something and it said 60 files unzipped but I still have no sound. The video is running 'normal' though...think I said that in an earlier post.

no sound device

When I go into my system tools it say's that I have no sound device. What does that mean and how do I get one. Is this connected with this whole driver situation?

now what?

I ran the zip and my computer restarted....and it then runs the new hardware wizard and I get as far as it asking for a cd or such because it cant find the driver for the device....what's up? I downloaded a driver...why is is saying it cant find it..??? I'm so lost

You should right click on the zip and " Extract all files..." then extract them somewhere you will remember. That way when it asks you where the files are (because it can't find it) you can point it right at that folder you extracted to.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!

I did everything you guys said...I extracted and downloaded and unzipped and I still have no sound. It runs the install wizard, reboots and then when I look in system tools I have no sound device. WWWHHHHAAAA....

So you've downloaded the drivers you needed. You also unzipped them into a folder/desktop. You went into the folder and installed the drivers on your computer and rebooted but still with no sound. I'm guessing you downloaded the wrong drivers for your motherboard. I'm assuming you have onboard sound and not a Sound card installed on the PCI...>_< hope u understand this!

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

Ok.. i'm guessing you've pressed the "extract" button or it did it automaticaly. Look under the C:\Temp or C:\Windows\Temp in one of those folders inside it or any other folder/places you usualy put downloads or random stuff/installers in.

The file you need to execute is a file called Setup.exe or install or something similar from inside that pack/folder you've just unzipped and that will install the drivers for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back