Chkdsk will not Run manually or on Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

msw249

I have an Acer Laptop with XP SP2 installed on it, just recently when the machine is booting it goes into chkdsk mode but it automatically cancels without anything being pushed. I went ahead and tried to run it manually through command line, but it just said it had to reboot, then after rebooting the same thing happened and it cancelled automatically. Now everytime it the computer boots the same thing happens, I was searching on the web and it said that I might have to do a repair of windows, but I do not have a copy that came with my laptop. I do however have a legal xp cd that I bought for my desktop, is there anyway I could use that copy to repair if that is what it comes down to. Any information on this subject would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

If it is an XP SP2 disk, then you should be fine to do a repair. Usually when you skip a chkdsk it will give you a reason/ or if you have a key held down. Make sure you have no stuck key. Also check your event viewer (Start>control Panel>administrative tools>event viewer) and select the system area. You might see some information on it there. Post any event ids, sources, and descriptions if any are there.

I opened up the event viewer and there a few errors from today and from yesterday when the all of this started to happening, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in event viewer, I can honestly say I've never opened this up before. If you can tell me what I'm looking for exactly it would help.
Thanks for responding so quickly.

Mike

I only see one which happened on March 4th, this is what it says when I clicked on it.

Error code 10000050, parameter1 feeafa78, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 a9b03537, parameter4 00000000.

Don't know if this well help or not.

Mike

Hmm, well that is a BSOD crash. But if it was a big problem, it would have continued to happen. It should not affect Chkdsk's. Was the 4th the first time you ran CHKDSK before this problem?

Chkdsk would run fine before, my girlfriend's daughter would sometimes shut the system down by the button and not by doing it properly on windows, so every so often it did run. I just noticed it the other day that it wasn't working and checked again today and still doesn't work. I'm really not that dumb when it comes to computers, I built my desktop from scratch, so I do know a little bit. For some reason I can't figure this one out.

Thanks for all the help.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back