Choosing a Vid Card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eijmaster1

Hi. I am looking into to getting a new GPU and just want some second opinions. My price range is from $70-100. I would like to stay under 100 but we'll see. My interface is AGP 8x. I want to be able to play new high end 3D games on high settings. Hopefully maxed out settings. My resolution is 1360x768. I love FPS games. I was looking at 7600GS and 7600GT. This will be the last video card I buy for a AGP slot so i want to get the best one in my price range. Lemme know what you guys think. Thanx.

XP-SP2
Intel P4 3.0 Northwood HT 512L2
1.5Gb DDR400 2x512 2x256
Intel RockLake D865PERL
PSU 350W (+12v:16a)
ATI Radeon 9200 128Mb 128Bit AGP 8x

If you can afford the 7600GT then I'd get that. Its faster than the GS and should be faster than the 2600Pro Tmagic650 linked.

The 2600Pro has DX10 support, and the 7600GT does not. Although you won't be using DX10 unless you are running Vista, and probably any DX10 games using DX10 on that card wouldn't run very well..

I think dx10 is useless in agp. It justs want gamers to buy vista, and vista is junk unless you have an ultimate gaming rig with a pci-express card + memory + dual-core cpu.
I personally prefer the 7600gt or the x1650gt in newegg for your computer.

So far all my games are running fine with my AGP card in Vista,

prog007 don't knock it if you haven't tried it!

You wont play new games on maximum settings with that rig regardless of what GPU you purchase. The PSU is too weak, your CPU is too weak and your budget is too low. BUT if you can upgrade your PSU, KPO has made a very good selection.

OK well I was looking at the X1650 cuz its only $70 and the specs are awesome for that price, but that X1650gt looks like a steal. Im guessing my PSU won't handle any of the mentioned cards. SO, what am I looking for as far as wattage and +12v rail ampage goes? At least 400-500w and at least 30 amps on the +12v rail? Also won't those powerful cards bottle neck my CPU? 3ghz Hyperthreading isn't enough? lol

Funny, it looks like you have the same problem as I had. I needed a new video card for an AGP slot and my PSU's 12V rail just wasn't cutting it.

With help from people of this forum I just bought this 7600GS for the AGP slot, if money is an issue this is a good card (its $80 after mail in rebate)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130076

and i bought this power supply to go with it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005

Its not a big wattage (380W) increase but i don't think that'll be an issue, its the 12V rails that count here and this PSU has two 17A 12V rails for a good price.

Symbolite said:
Funny, it looks like you have the same problem as I had. I needed a new video card for an AGP slot and my PSU's 12V rail just wasn't cutting it.

With help from people of this forum I just bought this 7600GS for the AGP slot, if money is an issue this is a good card (its $80 after mail in rebate)

and i bought this power supply to go with it...

Its not a big wattage (380W) increase but i don't think that'll be an issue, its the 12V rails that count here and this PSU has two 17A 12V rails for a good price.
Good card I would of recommended.
Psu your links are both for the card so psu?
The OP's 16a should be enough if it's not too old.

i'd suggest the 7600 gt,
i've got the PCIe version and i can run most stuff pretty well (granted my other specs are higher) but for $100 or so i'd say its your best bet for now, just start saving up and build a new system in a year or 2

i would personally agree with sngx views because i mean ur nt gonna really use dx10 and if u did it wudnt be very good because its just to demanding so i wud go for the 7600gt. but tmagics choice is still good but not worth it if u are going to upgrade.

you COULD see if your psu can handle it, the 7600 doesnt use a hell of alot of power (relatively) but its possible that there could be damage if it can't so i wouldn't recommend it

yeah symbolite i think I'll go with that psu. Thats a good find. Or maybe one with more wattage. As for the video card, I might go with the HIS X1650GT. 24 pixel pipelines, 540Mhz Core, 1360Mhz Mem, 512Mb GDDR3, for $100 in AGP. Sounds good to me.

okay its either X1650PRO or 7600GT 512mb or X1650 . Again this is the last vid card Im going to get for agp. Will these cards bottleneck with my P4 3Ghz HT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back