Choosing The Best Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmdl51

Hi! I'm planning to buy a new video card, but I Don't know which one would be better for my system,
MOBO: Asus P4P800E-Deluxe (with 8X AGP slot)
CPU: Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz HT
Mem: 4 GB PC3200 DDR
HD: 2x250 GB Western SATA
I would like to move on to PCI Express but I dont have the budget right now to buy a new MOBO and Processor besides i think my system is still running pretty good, so my question is what video card do you suggest for this configuration, I need a 8X agp card but still dont know what's better nVidia or ATI, i use ATI for many years with a very satisfactory performance, but maybe I like to try Nvidia but there's a lot of models and some look pretty cheap but I dont want to be dissapointed, I.E. GE Force 6200 256 DDR 8X is priced at 89.99 but I dont know how is at performance, same for this ATI X700pro 256MB 8X agp at 119.99 and there's a lot more, all suggestions welcome, Thank you!!

high end-7800gs ($270)

Mid-6800 ($160-220)

Mid-low-6600 ($140-200)

I have a 7800gs and it is amazing.
It is pricey, but that is the one i would reccomend

Acually, high end is the 7900 GTX, they are 600+. But, they blow all away. Including the 7800. If you wait, Q4 this year, Nvidia is releasing a 2 core video card, that is supposed to be a huge increase in speed, but, if your like me, and want the best now, and scew waiting, just go to tigerdirect and order the EVGA 7900GTX Superclocked video card. ;)

Are there AGP version of this cards, so far I've seen only PCI-E, I have AGP and I don't think I'll spend more than 250 in video card right now, I just checked ebay, and see the 7800 for 250 bucks but PCI-E :( thank you, I'm still looking for options

Well, if your AGP, then you might as well go with the 7800. PCI-E is wwwwaaayyyy faster, but AGP still works.

Canadian said:
Well, if your AGP, then you might as well go with the 7800. PCI-E is wwwwaaayyyy faster, but AGP still works.

Just wanted to poke my head in here and say.... well... that's not exactly true ;)

AGP versions of cards and PCI-E versions of cards perform pretty much dead even as the cards that are out now are not even using the full potential bandwidth available in an AGP slot.

The real advantage of the PCI-E is future proofing. The PCI-E slot has a much higher bandwidth, and eventually the graphic card technology will require more than an AGP slot can provide.

And the card makers are focusing all their energy on PCI-E, so the newest and most powerful cards are going to be only PCI-E. AGP is on it's last legs, but FAR from dead.

If you line up an AGP card and a PCI-E card with identical GPUs, their performance is almost deadlocked.

What do you think of this Video Card? ATI Radeon X1600 PRO 512MB AGP
GPU: RADEON™ X1600 core 500MHz
Pixel Pipeline: 12 pixel pipeline architecture
Memory: 512MB DDR II 780MHz
Interface: AGP 8x
Acceleration: Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c/OpenGL 2.0
Graphics Resolution: 2560x1600 Max
Video acceleration of: MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, WMV9, VC-1, and H.264
Ports: 1x DVI, 1x VGA, 1xTV OUT
Key Technologies: Smoothvision HD + Adaptive AA
Hyper Z HD, Video Shader HD

for 160 USD shipped, you think is a good deal? or this card isn't good? I mean i know a little bit and specs are pretty good, but well, you know, retailers always want to sell their products

I'd say that card is a good entry level card. It will play today's newest games, but on some you will need to turn down (or off) the eye candy in order to get good framerates.

And sapphire is a good brandname, making some decent products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back