CIA working with Amazon to develop private cloud

Rick

Staff

According to a report by FCW, Amazon has been entrusted to build a "private" cloud computing system for the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. The CIA is rumored to be outsourcing the task to Amazon in hopes of reducing its operating costs while maintaining a beat on emerging technologies.

The $600 million government contract is likely good news for Amazon. In fact, it's likely good news for the CIA too, who's existing cloud-based solution is made from a fragmented hodge-podge of numerous, highly specific private clouds.

Unlike public clouds, private clouds are often hosted on an organization's own hardware and software; however, private clouds can be hosted by a remote third-party like Amazon's S3 Web Services. Implementing security measures like firewalls, encryption and virtualization can keep a remotely hosted private cloud outside the purview users not in the organization. This practice is not without its own security concerns, however.

With security paramount, it would seem likely the CIA has employed Amazon's expertise to develop an in-house solution. Placing your private cloud system on your own network behind your own firewall is no doubt the single best way to secure your cloud. At this time though, neither Amazon nor the CIA have responded to questions about the project, so very little is known.

FCW suggests it could be related to changes brewing in how the CIA procures software and analyzes enormous data sets. Its exact purpose and uses will likely remain elusive, but it may be an effort to satisfy the Federal Cloud Computing Strategy (pdf) and the White House's "Cloud First" initiative. 

Permalink to story.

OH MY GOD!!!!

Why would the CIA outsource this to amazon? I'd have internal people do it. They can probably secure it more then amazon can.

LOL

Give it a coupla years and Anonymous will find their way into this "private cloud"

OH MY GOD!!!!

Why would the CIA outsource this to amazon? I'd have internal people do it. They can probably secure it more then amazon can.

Apparently you missed the point. Amazon has experience with cloud-based solutions. It's better to ask for someone with expertise, then expect someone on the inside with such knowledge. Most of those I'm sure are lacking, in terms of grasping technology as it evolves. Or should the whole jokes made before by US presidents be ignored as well?

Apparently you missed the point. Amazon has experience with cloud-based solutions. It's better to ask for someone with expertise, then expect someone on the inside with such knowledge. Most of those I'm sure are lacking, in terms of grasping technology as it evolves. Or should the whole jokes made before by US presidents be ignored as well?

Oh I see now. I just expected for the CIA to be on top of new technology because, well ..... there the CIA. But I understand now.

LOL

Give it a coupla years and Anonymous will find their way into this "private cloud"
Yeah right, as if Anonymous can find their way into the cloud protected with military-strength encryption. Good luck with that.

Guessing Google would be to obvious or perhaps they are branching out or it is a sandbox account lol

(Google be a suspected government ran entity anyway) I mean really how write code to access all unsecured networks and log all other networks and location on every road mapped in multiple countries and the terabytes of storage it would consume and then say we didn't know... it was a coding mistake pure and simple and then promise to delete the info and later found out its not....ya right... probably have thier fingers in Facebook as well with the face recognition software ...the face recognition software is being also being installed in some retail stores and they then can compile info as to whom visits the store when combined to the account of pictures and owners of FB accounts and also can identify shop lifters via face recognition and cross check it with listed info FB account.and if that don't work then any posted pics of you friends can give them leeds to track you and your associations of friends even if your info is false lol....

LOL

Yeah right, as if Anonymous can find their way into the cloud protected with military-strength encryption. Good luck with that.

If these anonymous members were able to hack into the FBI's secret files I'm sure they can do the exact same thing with the CIA. Even though most anonymous members are nine year olds who think they are cool.

Naw... Just blowing smoke ... to see if ya was still employed ..I knew ya couldn't resist.... Hack the mind which hacks the pc lmao

Most of anonymus "hacked" files, including FBI ones, have been extracted from Laptops and computers used by morons. Having a Cloud Enviroment, all sensitive files would be in the Cloud, if one of those morons lose their Computers or get Hacked. No files lost.

ALL spy's are internal agents working within the agency they spy upon. ALL hackers are inside agents mostly former Microsoft programmers now working for the unsuspecting agency. (There is a small percentage that may be tutored by former employees of Microsoft that are now hackers)
Problem is that once an organization reaches the size of a government bureaucracy it becomes unwielding and even with compartmentalization, hard if not impossible to control. But hey, the real purpose of the CIA is chaos amongst the competition of the elite and their monopolies, which they do an excellent job.

Back