Cleaned-out Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yhzhuo

Hi,
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend, who's system got 'wiped out' overnight; Windows seems to have reinstalled itself - everthing was restored to factory settings, so to speak.

Here're the AVG Antispyware and HijackThis logs.

And of course you know that could not have happened. Find our more about what he or she did with that machine in the previous 24 hours.

I thought it's weird as well, and explained there may be little anyone can do to restore those settings.

In any case, the logs seem to show abnormalities (I'm no expert but some of the items on the HJT log look suspicious), hence I posted hoping that at the very least, I can help to get the system clean.

That system is infected with malware.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine, then do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of yhzhuo only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

PLSRemote Service (PLSRemoteSvc)<Note: if you didn`t install this yourself or you don`t use it, then disable this service. That`s because it`s classed as Riskware and can be used to control your system.

Close the services window.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

PLSRemote.exe<Read note above.
eakengi.exe
sfsipca.exe
IPClient.exe
BackWeb-8876480.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eakengi] C:\WINNT\system32\eakengi.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sfsipca] C:\WINNT\system32\sfsipca.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 01] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPClient.exe" -l

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LDM] \Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe

O16 - DPF: {427273CC-764E-11D3-823D-006097F90453} (Pixami Image Editor Control) - http://www.imagestation.com/common/classes/BPImageEditor.cab?ver=1,1,0,32

O16 - DPF: {E9A7F56F-C40F-4928-8C6F-7A72F2A25222} (AxRUploadControl Object) - http://www.imagestation.com/common/classes/SonyISUpload.cab?v=1,0,0,24

O23 - Service: PLSRemote Service (PLSRemoteSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\PLSRemote.exe (file missing)<See note above.

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\PLSRemote.exe<See note above.
C:\WINNT\system32\eakengi.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\sfsipca.exe

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post fresh HJT and Combofix logs and let us know if you`re still having problems.

This thread is for the use of yhzhuo only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi,

here are the fresh logs.

Hmm... there're indications my own computer may be infected with something as well now. Well, I'll run some preliminary tests later, and if anything out of the norm crops up, I'll post a separate thread. May have to bother you and consult your expertise again.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Have HJT fix the following.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

Other than that, your log files look clean.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back