Cleaning my fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenjy

hey guys i just noticed that my fan is getting a bit dusty. im just wondering whats the proper way to go about cleaning it with compressed air. also, is it safe to use compressed air on my video card? thanks.

i usually just hold the fan so it doesnt spin and blow the dust off then i use the vacuum and suck the dust out of the air so it doesnt go everywhere. and i use compressed air on my video card and havent had any problems.

Fan Cleaning

I use compressed air on my video and sound cards all the time, never had a problem either. If anyone DOES know about possible ill-effects related to this, please let me know - I'd be curious to hear about them...

I've heard of issues using any type of vacuum for cleaning around any computer components or electronics in general. I'll see if I can find the article again. Read it in more than one area.

But the compressed air shouldn't be an issue.....it's ALL I use for cleaning dust out of the components......daily.

when i use the vacuum i dont stick it anywhere near the inerts of my pc, i blow the dust out of the case then suck it out of the air so it doesnt settle everywhere in the room.

be careful not to over spin the fan!! other wise thare is no better way to clean a fan than with canned air.

A fan died on my old AMD Duron 800mhz today due to some nasty dust (and killed the processor) so I took a big paintbrush and just stuck it between the fan blades and turned the fan with it while holding it upside down to get all the dust out from the inside of the fan. Then to clean the heatsink I stuck a pipe cleaner between the fins.

The fan works great now.

I want to remove my cpu fan, but i know anything i touch somehow does badly wrong. Is all you have to do is pop up those to little leavers and it comes loose? loose enough to clean the heatsink? and im sure its pretty simple to put back on, right?

Canned air is expensive in some places (here in dominican republic) and will not take a way the kind of stuff that gets sticked to the blades. As acidosmosis said, hold fan blades with the fingers and then use a small paintbrush to remuve the crap from the blades, both sides preferably. One the dirty stuff is all over the place, use the canned air to blow it all off.

Dust is dangerous. And it's ugly to see when you have a window. And it's ugly to touch when change components. And can get inside the pci/agp/dimm/cpu sockets creating connection problems between the pins.

Also, if you have led fans, if you don't clean them they will "bright" less.

Some call me crazy, but I use a paint brush to remove the majority of the dust. Then canned air to get the remnants out.

Electostatic zap? Not yet. Been doing it for 4 years now on hundreds of systems. Not one problem yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back