Cleaning out HardDrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Backfire

Hai
this has been bugging me for a while now

but iv been wanting to clean out my harddrive(delete stuff)
i currently have 50gb out of a 145GB Harddrive space left

i have about 35-40GB's of installed games,so i know if i unistall them
il have around 90-100GB's left

but what has been bugging me
Where the **** is the other 40GB at?

iv done all system clean ups
disk cleanups

Defragment all that stuff
been still wondering where the hell the other 40 is?

i dont have any movies and only about 5 gb of music on this
any suggestions?

Firstly your operating system will take up some place, but also don't you have any software installed???

Maybe you have a ghosting program instaled such as acronis? This might partition your HD and hide the partitioned section from your OS. You might want to try and boot your system from a live OS disk and browsw through all your files to find out what's on there.

By the way I have never heard from a 145 Gigs HD, They usually are either 120 Gigs or 160 Gigs. How did you determine the capacity of your HD?

Out of curiousity, how much space taken by your drwtsn32.log and C:\Windows\temp folder?

edit: a thing to try - under start, search select files, specify *.* for name, select search by size as >=ten thousand kilobytes (10000) and you'll see how many large files you have.

Make sure to search hidden and system folders.

:)

it's me said:
Firstly your operating system will take up some place, but also don't you have any software installed???

Maybe you have a ghosting program instaled such as acronis? This might partition your HD and hide the partitioned section from your OS. You might want to try and boot your system from a live OS disk and browsw through all your files to find out what's on there.

By the way I have never heard from a 145 Gigs HD, They usually are either 120 Gigs or 160 Gigs. How did you determine the capacity of your HD?

when i 1st got the computer it was 138 GB otta 145GB
and i ahvent really installed much besides games
even if it was software i dont think it would equal up to 40-50GB

And yes its a 145GB Harddrive
491ox1u.jpg

That search...WoW....that help some,thnx for letting me know about that
im up to 85GB now...still trying to find more

OK you mean that windows recognizes it as 145 GB, you probably have a 180 GB drive than.

Looking at your screenshot I would say empty your recyle bin, lol

Also if you click on the hardware tab from the properties window which you have open on your screenshot, you will be able to choose your HD from the list and click on properties. In the window that will open up, choose the volumes tab and than click on populate. You should now be able to see at the bottom if this drive is partitioned. If it is you will see the partitions listed separately with their respective capacities.

You can try to download ccleaner and see if it will find some more stuff for you to delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back