Cleaning the CPU Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

I have a question. Is it possible to remove the fan off of the CPU, blow out the dust in the heatsink, and replace the fan without having to do anything major? I'm going to add a graphics card soon, and I need the lowest temps possible.
(The system being cleaned is Sytem #1, in my profile.)

It depends on the heatsink & fan. Intel's stock heatsink for S478 Celeron has the fan embedded to the heatsink mounting mechanism, if I remember correctly.

If you have a can of compressed air or something equivalent, you should be able to blow the dust off of the heatsink from the side without removing the fan.

So, could I use my breath (I have lungs of steel!) to blow away the dust from the side and then collect it in my hands?

Now, my current CPU temp is 45 degrees, with the CPU fan blowing at 2000RPM and not 1500RPM. Will blowing out the dust lower CPU temps? And, do CPU temps affect mobo temps?

greatman05 said:
Now, my current CPU temp is 45 degrees, with the CPU fan blowing at 2000RPM and not 1500RPM. Will blowing out the dust lower CPU temps?
Yes ...better airflow and less insulation [dust] the better for heat transfer.

greatman05 said:
And, do CPU temps affect mobo temps?
YES since one is mounted on the other,
but truth is it all depends on MoBo configurtion, airflows and setup etc.

Airflow is good.
No insulation on heatsinks and components is good.

On the Iron lung thing ... not as good an idea since the air you blow is moist/wet .. and wet dust sticks real good to heat sinks and maybe even bakes on.
Use compressed air .. heck, even a bycycle punp is better.

Can you borrow a vacuum cleaner?
Using some creativity / duct tape / smaller diameter hose you can cobble together a dust blower / vac for PCs...

Just get permision from the owner of the vacuum first OR dont let them know and clean off the tape gum afterwards ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back