Click click click

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday my computer at work made a grunting sound and shut down, but still had power. I rebooted and everything was fine.

Today when I arrive at work and press the power on, nothing happens except a click click click sound. Uh oh. Is this the end of my hard drive?

I removed it and gave it a good whack. Reconnected the cables and got it to get to the XP boot up screen, till it grunted like before and shut down. Did this three times until it loaded up fine and is currently stable? So far so good for about an hour....no need for any back ups, its a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB 8T38011A in a Dell system. I think they had problems before, somewhat similiar to this, and they had the hard drive replaced. Possibly indicating a power or mobo problem? Thanks for any insight or advise, my boss is in a real real bad mood and apparently got angry with Dell before over this same computer.

"no need for any back ups"

Quite the contrary. Back up quickly.

The hard drive is really the only part in the computer that will make a noise like that. It may seem stable but as soon as XP hits that bad spot again, you're out.

I'd be willing to bet, if you ran a scan on the whole drive, it will hit bad spots that make it click.

Can you perhaps go into the BIOS and turn on Hard drive SMART checking? If available. It will keep an eye on the drive and warn you of impending failure. Otherwise, drives do not make clicking sounds in normal operation. Whether your boss likes it or not :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back