Clicking on a Link in IE will freeze my comp! please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenmed

Hi. this has started happening like a month ago and I dont know what might have caused it cause it never used to happen like this. It happens multiple times a day now. Its like, usually the computer is fine and when i click on a link it goes to the new site perfectly. Occasionally though, I will click on a link, i won't hear the usual click sound that it makes when i click on a link, and the arrow that is the mouse, turns into a hand like it usually does when it is over a link, but now it stays in that formation after i click on the link no matter where i move it on the screen.. also, the page isn't even loading up. its just as if the computer freezes. when i try to minimize the page, it wont work and i hear a "ping" sound. when i control-alt-delete to close the IE window, it eventually closes but says that there was an error. Further, if I open up IE again, things then are really slow and the link errors happen more frequently unless I restart the computer. But, eventually, the link freeze happens again. This never used to happen to me, so i know that something was affected somewhere. i know someone out there must know what i am talking about, and if you do, please tell me what i can do to fix this.

thank you

darren

I'm not sure exactly, but my guess is it's spyware. Do you run SpyBot now and then? It's freeware so do a google search for Spybot and install and scan your PC. Also you might update IE, goto MS website to see if you have latest edition.

The next time it does it look at the processes that are running inTask Manager, look for anything that has a high CPU usage (that's not IE). If you're pretty sure it's not system app, then kill it in TM and see what happens. If you kill a Windows app the PC may go unrepsonsive, so just reboot (no biggy). Note: you will see several svchost.exe running so leave those they are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back