Clock losing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Clock losing time.
The time is getting off by 10 or 15 minutes within a month, could it be something other than the battery?

I'm guessing your CMOS battery is going bad, because doesn't that keep the time as well?

In the mean time, you can turn on "Internet Time". Windows will update your clock every week according to a national time server. Double click on your time, choose "Internet Time" and then select the time.nist.gov server (Windows one never seems to work).

This will at least adjust your time for you so you don't have to keep fiddling with it.

I have the same thing too. The clock was accurate in Win98SE, but now it goes off about 7 minutes/month.

It's probably a Microsoft conspiracy to make people synchronize with their server.

90% of people behind computers are using clock dictated by one person.... Imagine the power Gates has! :eek:

It's one of the curses of computing: even the cheapest wristwatch is more accurate than the "Real Time Clock" in PC.

To make things worse, Window$ clock resets itself each time you reboot. It gets time from the quartz chip inside your computer.

But the appearance of the slowing clock may be evidence that your computer is travelling relative to you at velocities approaching the speed of light :giddy:

clock losing time...

I had the same problem....it was due to a failing cmos battery. I installed a little time app that upon every startup refreshed my clock via an atomic clock. Easy to find and use. I found mine on No Nags .

Hope this helps.

There are many 3rd party tools out there that sync your time (such as the dns2go client, and the timesync feature in fix-it utilities), and there are many many MANY servers out there that are public for anyone to sync their time to. I used to have a big ol' list, wish I still had that around.

Also, my faithful avip 486 board was losing time left and right, losing hours if powered off for more then 10 minutes (wasn't always the same amount of time) and losing about five minutes a day while booted. It normally was up for 6-12 days at a time, so it got kinda annoying. I seriously thought the box was in some sort of parallel universe. I have replacement batteries for it now, of course, but before I got to put them in, that boxes HDD died D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D:

Oh well.

Originally posted by Tweakster
Maybe your flux capcitor isnt getting 1.21 jigawatt's so the time u require is slightly behind!

Yeah, looks like you'll need some more garbage.

Originally posted by thewolfe
Clock losing time.
The time is getting off by 10 or 15 minutes within a month, could it be something other than the battery?
The battery is cheap , so start there.
Certain types of system errors (which never could happen in XP:rolleyes: ) can cause time loss
Do you notice it losing time when the system is off?
or while it is running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back