cmd is not a valid Win32 application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go to run in windows XP and type in cmd as I always do and I get this error:
cmd is not a valid Win32 application.
When I go to run and type in anything like "ping google.com" without the quotes. I get this error:
ping is not a valid Win32 application.
Any help on resolving this error would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your problem may be caused by viruses/spyware.

Go and read this thread HERE.

Post a HJT log as a .txt attachment into this thread.

If it turns out you do have a virus/spyware problem, I will move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

If it turns out not to be spyware/malware/viruses, it might be a sign of data corruption. It might be a bit unlikely, the chance of this being due to a failing drive or file system / logical issue is possible.

HJT log

When I go and launch command prompt through the start menu (after typing cmd.exe instead of just cmd) and type in anything legal like "ping google.com" without the quotes. I get this error:

C:\Windows\system32\ping.com is not a valid win32 application

followed by a message in the prompt, Access is Denied

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    7.7 KB · Views: 13
Your version of HJT is out of date. The current version is 1.99.1.

Go back to the link I gave you and make sure you get the latest version of HJT, then post a new HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

I`ve just been to that link and downloaded HJT. It is version 1.99.1

Just click on the large download button, it has a small green flashing light next to it.

Regards Howard :)

Yes, 1.99.1 is certainly available on the site. Go to the nav bar on the left, and scroll down untill you see a button that says "download HJT" (or similar).

Failing that, this being a bit of a rareity for me, try this direct download link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back