Comcast cable users?!?

halo71

I am thinking of switching over to Comcast Cable. Probably the 6Meg DL speed. I was wondering if anyone here uses this service and what they think of it. My dilema is, that after divorcing I bought a new house. I dont have home phone service, only my cell. I really didnt want to hassle with having a phone line and all for DSL. Satellite is out of the question, I dont like it. So cable seems to be the next best alternative. Any other recommendations would be great. Earthlink and Verizon cable are not available in my area. They are ranked among the best service in this area as well!

I have Comcast 12 Mb service and I've got to say I love it 99.5% of the time. That other .5% I hate it because it's probably down and I always figure that out before they make an official announcement. Only thing that sucks about it is the upload speed. Don't expect to host any high bandwidth services using Comcast Residential service.

I have Cox and their upload speed is very slow, too:( . But still, it's still better than any other service in my area.

If you have neighbors that use it, don't; you share your line with them, so if they use it when you do, you're speed goes down, sometimes dramatically. I have Verizon FiOs and it's really nice (some of my family members work at Verizon :D).

I have Comcast, also because I didn't want or need a phone line. It is not bad at all, pretty fast speeds for me. Occasionally when it doesn't work I just call in to complain and get a credit.

cfitzarl said:
If you have neighbors that use it, don't; you share your line with them, so if they use it when you do, you're speed goes down, sometimes dramatically. I have Verizon FiOs and it's really nice (some of my family members work at Verizon :D).

Believe it or not, I live in the Atlanta Metro area and in my area they do not offer FiOs yet! And they dont know when they will. I am not to concerned about upload speeds at all. But thanks for the info LNC. I would "think" that Comcast service in my area would be strong enough where if my neighbors use it too that it wouldnt slow down to terribly bad. Is that a wrong assumption? I mean I know that cable will slow as more users are on but you think it will slow that noticebly? I have been use to 3 meg or less download speeds so a 6 meg speed, I am looking forward to. LNC, just out of curiosity, how much is the 12 meg speed in your area?

Well, I am on an affinity program with my employer + Comcast - so they offer all the people where I work that speed for $32/mo.

halo71 said:
I am thinking of switching over to Comcast Cable. Probably the 6Meg DL speed. I was wondering if anyone here uses this service and what they think of it. My dilema is, that after divorcing I bought a new house. I dont have home phone service, only my cell. I really didnt want to hassle with having a phone line and all for DSL. Satellite is out of the question, I dont like it. So cable seems to be the next best alternative. Any other recommendations would be great. Earthlink and Verizon cable are not available in my area. They are ranked among the best service in this area as well!

i have the comcast 12mb and I love it, go for it man, expect to pay 90 bucks including cable service alone with your internet, good luck

Hey Halo71, I no not live in the states or no about the Broadband IPS's over there, but all I am going to say is: do you really NEED it that fast? What do you use it for?
Okay, I have 24mb line (which act. only reaches around 20) but this is because I DO NEED IT! ...

Just pick the price range that fits in with the speed you need.

It comes down to not a matter of need but a matter of want sometimes! Maybe I dont need a 6mg line, but the 1.5mb I got now isn't fast enough either! And besides I am starting to take on line classes soon for graphic design and maybe animation. And I think it requires a connection faster than I presently have. Plus if you figure the cost of DSL plus a phone line, the 6mg cable line is not much more a month and the speed is so much faster. So its a no brainer really! I really wasnt asking what speed line to get. But more people's opinion of Comcast cable. What or if they have any issues.

$50 DSL+phone line (1.5mg)
or
$65 Cable (6mg)

What would you do? ;)

Back