Command prompt doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

da_head

Hey guys, i have a major problem. when i go to run and type in cmd (or command or command prompt), i get an error message saying
C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applicaitons. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Even though i press ignore, it still closes and a few months ago the command prompt worked fine. I can't think of any software installation that might have changed this and no hardware changes have been made. I'm currently running a Windows XP pro. If you guys need any other information, please ask. thank you

Your autoexec.nt file has become corrupt (probably some (anti)spyware or (anti)virus). Copy a clean version from the Windows CD or another computer.

wait r u saying to get a whole new windows or just get a new file (the one that is corrupted). and if ur saying the second one, how would i do dat exactly?

wow thx i tried ur suggestion and it works! the weird thing though is when i type cmd it doesn't work, but when i type command or command prompt it works. aren't they the same thing?

Here`s something I just made up :) -

"Windows NT AND XP comes with two "command line shells" -- one called CMD.EXE and the other called COMMAND.COM. If you're wondering which one to use, following information might help:

CMD.EXE is the Windows NT's native command prompt (or shell), which means it is more portable among different hardware platforms. For example, if you type SET and press ENTER inside a CMD.EXE prompt, you'll notice that CMD.EXE exposes more environment variables than COMMAND.COM. On the other hand, COMMAND.COM is the more "MS-DOS compatible" version of the two shells. For example, this shell will call AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT (located in the SYSTEM32 directory inside your Windows NT directory) just like MS-DOS used to call AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS.

So, if you're having trouble running your old DOS command line programs from Windows NT, try running them inside a COMMAND.COM shell, not CMD.EXE."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back