Commit Charge inconsistency with process mem usage on task manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
When I Open task manager on WinXP (SP2) the commit charge is significantly higher than the sum of the mem usage in the processes tab... anyone knows why? (and yes I do have show processes from all users checked). the delta increases the longer my computer is on...
I attached the processes list the commit charge is 1101/2455M at this time
thanks
Saar

Hardware:
IBM T43 1.86Mhz Pentium M, 1gb memory

Attachments

• mem.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 10
They're two separate things,you'll notice that it matches the PF Usage,this is the paging file,but it's not the actual amount of memory used but what's been allocated just in case it's needed.

Because you've got so many processes running it's set to a high level,as an example I've got 38 processes running and a commit charge of 285mb,but my highest page file usage has only been 11mb.

BTW it wouldn`t hurt to google your way through your running processes and see how many you really need.

Commit charge is RAM+swap. The mem usage in the process list shows the amount of RAM consumed by a process, it does not show the parts of the process in the page file.

Tell the Task Manager to show you the virtual memory sizes of processes - this way you can see the "true" amount of memory used by processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back