common prob (unusual result) new pc old HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a built a pc and dropped the old hard drive in.

As expected It got part of the way through loaded windows and locks due to old mobo info etc.

Always cure this with a reinstall of existing version of xp, so booted from rom and selected repair existing, it starts and eventually does the expected reboot only to come up with a blue screen of death and continue to reboot endlessly always getting back to the momentary flash of the hardware error of that blue screen, too quick to read but I know what it will say.

Never had this before, always goes through reinstall smoothly.

I would welcome input please.

I suppose I will need to do the following in recovery console.

copy c:\i386\ntldr c:
copy c:\i386\ntdetect.com c:

also to type FIXBOOT

and also fixmbr

but I would like any other suggestions please

"I need the data that's on it m8
I am hand rebuilding onto another drive but a b*ll ache just the same"...

Can you write English? What are you saying here?

Can I write english, I did. Can you read English?

I came here because in 25 years I had never seen a situation the same as what I am experiencing, I have always been able to do a repair and it deletes the existing mobo drivers and sorts itself out. But not this time hence post.

As I mentioned It got part through re_installing got to the part where it reboots and then got a blue screen of death, reboot and did the same again in a constant loop.

Seriously though, without throwing my rattle out of the pram:

If I need to for instance put it as a slave and drag various stuff to the root to save and then deltree windows for a fresh install then fair enough and by all means you should offer that.

To suggest I need to low level format is not the kind of of advice I would offer nor take, especially bearing in mind peeps who may come here looking for advice to recover from a similar problem (and keep their data) will see suggestions such as yours as the ONLY solution.

With the greatest of respect m8, I would expect pcworld to format my drive (low level or otherwise) or more likely shove a recovery disk in, rather than investigate the problem (In my case I suspect it's probably a vxd off the old mobo causing the prob) because they either don't have the time or maybe the expertise to get to the root of the problem.

As I say I am not trying to throw a strop but your replys are

1. fdisk (or as you put it low level format)
2. Speak english (I do that quite well thanks)

I truly believe that if you have nothing to say don't speak

Yet from your postcount you are obviously an active an helpful forum member which completely puzzles me

spud

Tmagic650 said:
"I need the data that's on it m8
I am hand rebuilding onto another drive but a b*ll ache just the same"...

Can you write English? What are you saying here?

Oh ok,
I get it! M8 is mate... You must be in England or Australia... Still what the heck is B*ll? Bloody Hell! Sorry for the cussing. This means nothing to us in the USA.

Try removing any modems, NIC cards, USB adapters and use only 1 stick of memory and maybe even a PCI based video card instead of an AGP or on-board video. Then try the XP install once again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back