Comp is running at 50C - helpp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SornyPanafonic

put in new motherboard - motherboard and everything seems to be running hot (to the touch). cpu (amd xp 2600+) in old motherboard (without silver compound) ran at 150F degrees. now it does about 110~120. still very hot. the heatsink is a standard amd heatsink (aluminum i think). just ordered a 80mm fan that runs at 5000rpm or so over the standard 60mm running at 4000rpm thats fitted on now. also ordered 2 80 mm fans to put in the case (already have 3 fitted). anyone know of a good cheap copper heatsink for socket A?? dust is also a problem, i was planning on put on some panty hose netting over the intake fans (cheapest way). any other ideas on how to cool this biatch down?? much thanks.

cpu (amd xp 2600+) in old motherboard (without silver compound) ran at 150F degrees.

are you using thermal paste now? if not. GET SOME! arctic silver could knock a few degrees off of there. also make sure your pc isnt near a heater or something of that sort. mine is and it puts the temp up about 10c sometimes. and clear wires from around the cpu heatsink that could be limiting airflow.

i put on some silver compound and ordered artic silver 5 which will arrive any day

hey young&wild - i have a problem with my ga-7n400pro mobo (i also have the same amd 2600+ as you) it keeps telling - "unregmp2.exe - entry poinjt not found. procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL" when i try to fix windows. - you got any ideas how to deal with it?

I must have read something wrong, 50C? is this load or idle? If it is load you have nothing to fear. If it's idle, I'd definately look into better cooling options. Also, if you are using Arctic Silver currently, that should be sufficient.

Even your 150F(~65C) is within safe operating temps, unless that is an idle temp. I personally prefer to run much cooler than that, but its nothing to get all worked up about.

50C is fine man :rolleyes: Your CPU should be too hot to toutch in the first place. I wouldnt start to worry unless you get up to 65C+. Also you'll get 50C temps with the retail/standard AMD heatsink. Its no SLK900. I dont think AMD would supply heatsinks that cool cpus to 50C if 50C were a bad thing ;) The CPU's are fine up to 80/85C. Mine ran at 75C-80C for 8months, never a problem (I had crappy cooling+no fans)

Reminds me of what happened last night..my buddy couldnt figure out his random lockups and crashes...Ends up his 2400+ with stock cooling had had the fan unplugged...Was running around 160 F....Such a silent pc...lol

Vassil, either his temp readings were wrong, or he had another problem, 160F(~70C) shouldn't be causing lockups and crashes.

i wanted to cool it down (low 40s) so i can have it run a lil faster then 2083mhz - was thinking of buying a copper heatsink - is it worth the money?

Without a doubt...... it doesnt get any better then the SLK900 as far as air cooling goes.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
50C is fine man :rolleyes: Your CPU should be too hot to toutch in the first place. I wouldnt start to worry unless you get up to 65C+. Also you'll get 50C temps with the retail/standard AMD heatsink. Its no SLK900. I dont think AMD would supply heatsinks that cool cpus to 50C if 50C were a bad thing ;) The CPU's are fine up to 80/85C. Mine ran at 75C-80C for 8months, never a problem (I had crappy cooling+no fans)

But on my 2nd computer the cpu is at 36c, maybe cuz its not overclocked?

Originally posted by bkaa
But on my 2nd computer the cpu is at 36c, maybe cuz its not overclocked?

That, and you probably have very good airflow through the case, very efficient fans and a good HSF. 36c is very good, even at stock speeds for fairly recent machines.

Well the case isnt that great, but there is like a bunch of holes right next to the CPU fan and i have a fan right there so it just gets the air and throws it out? Im guessing, although that computer has a much bigger heatsink than my 2800, for my 2800xp it came with a little tiny thing eh

To:SornyPanafonic

Hi SornyPanafonic, Am i read right, is that your cpu shot up over 50c??? My advice is to buy a brand new Thermaltake Volcano 12 (copper heatsink, verrrrrrrrry heavy!!!! ;))

ThermalTake Volcano 12
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1745.htm

Vantec VA4-C7040 or VA4-7245 for AMD
http://www.vantecusa.com/product-cooling.html#

Cooler Master CPU Cooler for PC Enthusiasts
http://www.coolermaster.com/?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product_list&p_class=111

Sry this is my first time offer advice :wave:

Lucan

Oh yeah?!?

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Thats just spending money on new heatsink and fans..

SornyPanafonic asked for a cheap copper heatsink, i suggested him a few site that he can get a really good fan manufacturer

He just asked for a cheap fan, SornyPanafonic am i right??!?!? This site i posted is a little quite expensive, around 20 to 80 in us money, that manufacturer is best to cooldown the 65 oc to about 37 oc.

150'F is no problem with an XP processor. I had an XP running at about 145'F for months until I upgraded on my cooling options (to the SLK-900u), but it's no big deal. As long as you dont get to around 170'F you dont have much to worry about. Just keep an eye on it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person running my CPU (consistently) under 30C, overclocked.

But as a good copper Socket A heatsink? Volcano 9, man. It's great, I used it on my XP2100+ for a long time and it kept it at under 40C load all the time. I actually got it down to 22C on a particularly cold night, the idle temp was about 18C. That was with AS3, which I would also reccomend.

yah im def gonna get me a new heatsink as soon as i get some cash - i figure 50 beans would be enough. im up in cold albany for school so i just open the window and it drops to about 35-40c for now - also i got me a 80mm tornado on my stock heatsink and 2 new case fans - no longer seeing 50c - mainly ~45c.

the thing is that i have regular ide cables for 4 devices and one round ide cable for my dvd burner and i think its choking the airflow since i do have 3 intake fans and 2 exhaust (not counting the psu fan). also since i changed my mobo the power supply cable runs just above the cpu fan (opposite side of the last mobo) and the exhaust fan power line runs right infront of them. all kinds of nonsense is going on in there that i have to clean up.

help with overclocking cpu

i just bought a asus motherboard come with ai boost and i bought a p4 641\3.2ghz cpu and i overclock it 115%...my cpu temp read at 20c and system at 47c is that good or bad?....can somebody shine some light on this subject

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back