Comp restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bneumohr

Hello, it's me again. I'm having a nery annoying thing happen, my computer is crashing for not reason.

This only started hapening about 4 days ago, i tried formatting my HDs (which didn't work) and reinstalling verything else that might make this happen.

My system specs are:

-AMD XP 3000+
-350 (somthing) powersupply
-120 gb maxtor HD
-Asus A7X (somthing) deluxe
-512 DDr pc3200 kingston ram
-Geforce 2 TI vid card.

That's about it, anyone have any ideas?

could you be a little more specific, is it only crashing in windows or when you first boot the computer up ?

How's your temperatures running? Are you just doing regular tasks when it crashes, or stuff like playing games or listening to music?

Check and reseat all your plug in devices, memory, graphics card etc. You eliminated a software problem with a reinstall so you need to look at hardware.

asdf

It only reboots while i am doing anything. and by anything i mean ANYTHING, from messing w/ paint to serfing the web.

It only reboots when i am in windows, never when i'm in start up.

also, after it reboots, an error message pops up saying "Windows has recovered from a serious error".

My temp right now on my CPU is only 80.

What do u mean by "Check and reseat all your plug in devices, memory, graphics card etc"

Do u mean to unplug them, plug them back in and make sure that they are working porperly?

Do a boot into safe mode and check if you reboot even there. If you run stable in safe mode, you're probably experiencing software problems or drivers and you'll need to troubleshoot the source of it... maybe a previous restore point or something. If you're still unstable even in safe mode, I'd advise repairing your Windows install or doing a clean reinstall.

Did you do anything recently before the problem started occurring?

EDIT:

And when you say your temp is 80, I hope you mean 80F.... LOL

asdfasdffads

Sorry i hvn't replyed for awhile.

Nick_M: I'm running Win XP.

mcsedude: what is IRQ?

Scoi: Yes, i mean 80F. My computer IS rebooting,, but it keeps retarting w/o me making it. I will try the safe mode thing and see what happens. And if that's the case, how would i troubleshoot it?

asfd

My brother went to another board and asked about my problem, they told him to un-check this one thing and now it stops restarting itself. But, instead of doing that, it now tells me what is wrong with my computer.

here is what it says after the general info about restarting and stuff:
Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xBF87033D, 0xF2793404, 0x00000000)
*** win32k.sys - Address BF87033D base at BF800000, Date Stamp 3d6de5e5

Beginning dump of physical memory

Does anyone know what this might mean? Also, what does it mean by saying "Beginning dump of physical memory?

Yes i mean unplug then just put them back in again., sometimes they can come loose as the temp rises, just reseating them can clean the contacts and ensure a proper fit. Also check your virtual memory settings, I have had occasion with xp where it somehow set it to manual instead of computer managed. Good luck

Hmm have you tried sending that error report to microsoft after you recover from an error. I did it and 5 minutes later I got a messege telling me exactly what it was that was crashing me, turns out it was the drivers for my modem.

Try doing that if the option comes up.

This is pretty basic (and you may have done/tried all of this) but make sure you've got all of your WinXP updates and virus definitions and run your virus scanner. Also (and this is pretty off-the-wall), my 12-year old recently had the same problem on his notebook after he played UT2003. It seems that for some reason the most recent game patch was the cause. We uninstalled the game and reinstalled w/o the patch and haven't had the re-start problem since.

Hi I know this is an old post but I think I may be having the same problem. My comp will crash and restart for no reason just at random times. I just need an idea of what to do so it will stop. please.

Check your paging file size. Sounds like you are low on virtual memory. Your paging file size should be at least 3 times the size of your physical memory. (This is refered to as swap space in Linux). If you have a master and slave setup, you should set paging files for both drives. Most common default in W2K and XP is 768 - 1536. To check it right click on MY Computer and choose the Advanced tab. Then choose the Performance section (usually the middle) and it should be labeled virtual memory.

Please note that this is only a temporary fix.

Also on the startup and recovery section of the ADVANCED tab you have the option of choosing what type of memory dump it performs. You can also make it so that it does not reboot when it happens.

I reccomend that you clean out your temp files at least once a week. W2k and XP have multiple locations for temp files.

Some are on the properties page of Internet Explorer. You have the Temp folder in the WINNT folder and lastly for every user on the computer including Administrator there are folders in the "Documents and Settings" area of the C: drive. Here clear the cookies (can't delete the Index), then the History, the Temp folder, and the Recent folder. Do this for each User. Then empty the recycle bin.

You did not mention this but I found out the hard way that Mcafee Internet Suite 6 has a feature called Privacy service that forces w2k and Win XP to continuously reboot. Go to their website for the fix on that if this could be the issue.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back