Comp stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comp had staretd to run hotter than usall and upon inspection i found the front case fan dn the side panel fan no longer working and case full of dust (hadnt been opened in over a year). upon seeing all the dust as i was replacing the fans i blew the case out and evrywhere else i could. at which time i also noticed cpu heat sink pretty clogged up with dust build up. i took heat sink and fan off and cleaned em up with a brush and air, as well as blowing psu out. at which time putting it back toghter and powering back up nothing happend light om mb is one and power indicator front of case is lite , no lights on none of the cd drives. fans all work. i get no beeps
i have switched the mem modules in and out testing each one sepreatly still nothing diffrent, i have reset the cmos and get the same. took al pci cards out and disconnected evrything and tried one by one sepreatly to see if get anything and still nothing.

i read on another site to start comp without ram to see if beeps which i dont get no beeps without the ram.
the only time i get any lights on cds is when i ahve ram in and cpu out of mobo. at which time cds willopen and close ( no beeps during this time either from mobo.

would i be correct to assume that i need to replace the mobo and cpu at this point?

i am running an gigabyte ga-7zxe mobo with an amd xp2400 cpu
gforce fx550 vid card. soundblaster audigy sound card.

if i do have to replce mobo is there anyway i can save what i ahave on my hard rive as many important items there. i read i could replace mobo and cpu then do a install of win xp over the old one to get to be able to get to hard drive back up data and then be able to do a fresh install from that point.
is any of this true? also should i go ahead and replace psu at same time one i have now is a 350 wt very cheap from what i can tell.

mobo combo im looking at getting is a Biostar M7NCG 400 NVIDIA Socket A MicroATX Motherboard with an AMD Sempron 3300+ 2.0GHz OEM Processor & 512MB DDR PC3200 Memory

any help or sugestions greatly appreciated tryn to keep the cost down on this one as sometime this summer i will be doiong an 64 ssytem with pci exspress vid card and such and this comp will go to my kids.

If you replace your mobo and proc you need to repair windows not re-install windows. This is not the first repair option. Just insert CD as if you were doing a clean install accept the licence agreement and instead of installing take repair from there. This should, I repeat should recover your system. then you need to sort out drivers service packs etc. This is not 100% garaunteed but what is in life these days.... Good Luck and hope this helps.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

took heat sink and fan off and cleaned em up with a brush and air, as well as blowing psu out. at which time putting it back toghter and powering back up nothing happend light om mb is one and power indicator front of case is lite , no lights on none of the cd drives. fans all work. i get no beeps

When you took the heatsink off, did you clean off the old thermal pad/paste and apply new thermal paste?

If not this is probably the cause of your problems.

Take off the heatsink and clean off all the old thermal pad/paste, from both the heatsink and cpu die. Use a little isopropyl/rubbing alcohol for this.

Then apply a thin layer of new thermal paste to the cpu die and reattach the heatsink.

Instructions for applying thermal paste can be found HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back