Compaq 450 doesnt boot after new Udma4 HDD installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dams100

:confused: Hi there

Compaq 450 doesnt boot after new Udma4 HDD installation, we have installed the HDD, it gets recognized in the Bios, booted with XP CD, XP recognixed the HDD, formated with NTFS for all 80 GB, XP copied all files, asked for Reboot to carry on installation. Given yes, ddidnt come to the installation screen after that.
EVerytime, you put the cd, XP dects the HDD even the windows XP folder, but doenst go beyond after copying files, reboot on installation.

Please help

dams100

I have checked with 2 different CDs and no issues, it gets the HDD Formated for NTFS, Copies files and the stops at the reboot

used the new 80 cable, i have doubts on Bios, does compaq p450 support hdd more than 40 gb, what is the latest bios version on compaq p450's.

checked that, its set to Floppy first, CD Second and HDD Third.
I have also changed the order to boot HDD First and checked, didnt help
It Boots up with CD, detects the HDD, able to Format, XP gets the Files copied, and asks to restart to continue installation. Doesnt get rebooted
Simply the cusor blinks. If you put the CD and restart, it asks for press any key to boot from CD, if you wait for system to boot from HDD, it stays in Blink state. If you boot from CD, it asks for repair previous installation.

Quite Strange

Ok, hmmmm, does your cd rom have any problems with any other cd's? If not, try booting from install cd, go in to "recovery console" and type "fixmbr", and see if that helps.

Thans Rik, i will try that, I have no issues with any of other CDs, if i put the old HDD, the system works like a GEM. It is 6 GB, with windows 2000 Prof.
The new HDD is 80GB UDMA4, i doubt the BIOS, as it is not showing any cylinder information in the bios, it shows only the size
But XP can detect the HDD, format and copy files, it even repairs the c:\windows folder on the HDD when you try to boot again using the CD and repair.
There must be something to do with ROMPAQ upgrade or Compatibility issues (some compaq systems doesnt support 40GB and more HDD)

Any Help is highly appreciated.

Success !!!! :)

Thanks everyone for your inputs, Bios is not an issue.
The actuall issue is basic OS Installation was done by someone and i was troubleshooting. As we all know, we need to have a FAT Partition for a systems to boot and get to NTFS. My best friend has formatted the whole HDD in NTFS, loaded the OS and trying to BOOT. I ended up troubleshooting this issue and bothered you all. Yesterday after trying fixmbr suggested by rik, i have started doing a fresh install and found that there is no FAT partition, formatted 20GB for FAT and rest 60 to NTFS, loaded OS, rebooted it worked like a Gem....i learned yesterday that.... it is always better to do everything yourself starting from scratch...

many thanks for all your help

we can close this thread...:grinthumb

dams100 said:
As we all know, we need to have a FAT Partition for a systems to boot and get to NTFS.
Huh? Since when?

Now I wonder how come my machine will boot at all. NTFS only.

There must have been another problem with your system.

Regards, Martin A

Thats my assumption... may be you are right.. not sure... But.. it didnt work with NTFS partition... when i put FAT32, it booted and i am have 60GB NTFS partition to store all data... dont know... what caused it to work... any updates are most welcome.... for knowledge sake
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back