Compaq EVO D310 and a better video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok2bclever

Compaq EVO D310 and XFX GeForce 6200 256MB AGP 8X Video Card

Hello,

This will be another newbie question I am sure, but my 12 year old son has a Compaq EVO D310 and some games run on it, some crash, some do not run at all.

Belarc tells me the graphics are integrated.

I was wondering if I can use a XFX GeForce 6200 256MB AGP 8x Video Card with this computer to give him more game compatibility and improved results?

I know how to follow instructions and how to plug a card in to a PCI slot, but I am not sure what the difference is between one of those and a AGP slot or whether the unit even has a AGP slot to plug into?

Not sure if I have given the proper stats or enough of them to answer this question, but if anyone could advice me I would appreciate it.

If this card cannot be used, any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to Techspot!! :)

You only have PCI slots :( You don't have any AGP slot available, so you can't use that XFX card.

You need to buy a PCI card, take a look at this thread HERE.

Cheers :)

I suspected as much and was considering buying him a newer/faster PC with a better video board if I can find one cheap enough, but a teenage boyfriend of my daughter confidently told me all I would need as a new AGP board add on.

So much for his vaunted PC knowledge (I think it runs along the lines of a little bit of knowledge can kill you type of thing).

I don't think much of him as a boyfriend either. LOL!

Guess I will go back to looking at cheap PCs rather than blow a hundred on a PCI wannabe video board add on.

Thanks Wolf.

That would be a good choice. Obviously, the best choice would be to build your own computer. You could build a cheap, fast computer, for a lot less $$$ than those OEM PC's.

It's all up to you.

Regards :wave:

Ah well, that is no doubt true if only I had the knowledge, but I don't.

I have added modems, PCI slot USB&firewire boards, hard drives and burners on my own PCs so I am not afraid to open the case, but I have never "built my own" and I wouldn't know all what parts I would need to buy or how to figure out what would be best compatible with what.

I have occasionally looked at those "barebones" kits online like at TigerDirect, but always shy away not sure how much I don't know, but would need to.

Lol yeah wolf, I built a computer that is better then all the Dells & alienwares put together for like $900 ( saved me about $4,000 ) :haha:

Ok2bclever said:
Ah well, that is no doubt true if only I had the knowledge, but I don't.

I have added modems, PCI slot USB&firewire boards, hard drives and burners on my own PCs so I am not afraid to open the case, but I have never "built my own" and I wouldn't know all what parts I would need to buy or how to figure out what would be best compatible with what.

I have occasionally looked at those "barebones" kits online like at TigerDirect, but always shy away not sure how much I don't know, but would need to.

If you're willing to build your own PC, we can help you out. We can help you to choose parts.

If you want, just give us your maximum budget :)

Thanks Wolf, well I know $500 is a low ball figure for a decent gamer PC, but if you guys could put together a shopping cart with that I would seriously consider putting one together for him.

While looking at his PC (first chance I had was today with him in school), I took the cover off (man the dust, gotta clean that out!) and there IS a AGP slot on the board (3 full size PCI and one AGP 4X).

Back to my original question, the XFX GeForce 6200 256MB AGP 8x Video Card is by it's title a 8X card, so does that mean it would not be compatible in the AGP 4X slot (this is probably a DUH! question, but I had to ask) ?

Wolf,

I was kind of thinking if that card would work to allow him to play all the various games he currently wants (Morrow, Eragon, etc) I could use it as a stop gap and look at putting more money away towards a better (more expensive) gaming PC later next year as a birthday present for him.

I can currently get that GeForce 6200 AGP card for $30 delivered.

Do you think that card with the D310 should play most current games at least at a low rez?

I will check the link you supplied in a bit, thanks for all your help so far.

This link is exactly how it looks inside with the AGP slot just above and off centered from the PCI slots.

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11348_div/11348_div.HTML

I think I will do both, the $30 card as part of his Christmas gifts and then look at beginning to build the PC for his birthday next year as he turns into a "real" teen. Thanks for the help, Wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back