Compaq Presario 7360 Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Egelston

I have a Compaq Presario 7360 with Windows 98. It had a virus (delete/bat) which I removed. I installed all the Microsoft updates, but the sound driver wouldn't work. I searched the internet and found a solution I tried (shoudn't have). I tried to registry /restore to an earlier version. Things got worse from there. Fortunately I backed up the hard drive (with Acronis true image home). The original hard drive had the system and a compaq restore drive. I restored the system so I could start again, but windows won't come up as and I don't have a restore disk. I can boot with a win98 boot disk in the A drive. I can navigate to the C and D drive.
Can I create a recovery disk still? If so how.

I'm unimpressed, to say the least, with the Compaq policy that makes it difficult to recover their systems. (they apparently use a code to prevent you using another company's product). Compaq/HP tells me they don't have a recovery disks for that model now (I thought license to market Microsoft required them to support recovery).

Any ideas?

Some of these recovery disks are available on eBay.

But because you're taliking Windows 98, it may be easier to locate a Windows 98 CD (lots of peoples back cupboards) And install from that.
This will not include the drivers and extras (which you may need to download)

The issue on Restore disks not interchangeable between models is quite normal.

I will try the windows 98 disk again. It didn't work for me the first time. I thought that was because of the Compaq identification system.

Well there's three (was going to be two) parts to that

A compaq Restore disc will only work in the Comaq model it was made for
A Windows 98 disc will work in any machine (just about)
A Windows 98 Compaq disc, will work in any machine (but the key is licenced to Compaq)

I reformatted the hard drives and tried to install windows 98, but it wouldn't come up on bootup. I also tried a windows startup disk (to the command prompt) I couldn't start the cd from there. It complained I had to be in windows already. (Perhaps I should have built a startup disk that would put me into windows. I didn't have a windows 98 machine immediately available, however.

Anyway, I ran out of time and ordered a restore disk. Hope that works.

I think I'm going to get a hard drive just for this purpose and install 98, 98SE, and Millennia. I will set them up in different partitions that I can designate as active or not. When I need to refer back to an installation, all I have to do is set the active partition, place it in my maintenence machine and boot up. Does this make sense?

I reformatted the hard drives and tried to install windows 98, but it wouldn't come up on bootup. I also tried a windows startup disk (to the command prompt) I couldn't start the cd from there. It complained I had to be in windows already. (Perhaps I should have built a startup disk that would put me into windows. I didn't have a windows 98 machine immediately available, however.

Anyway, I ran out of time and ordered a restore disk. Hope that works.

I think I'm going to get a hard drive just for this purpose and install 98, 98SE, and Millennia. I will set them up in different partitions that I can designate as active or not. When I need to refer back to an installation, all I have to do is set the active partition, place it in my maintenence machine and boot up. Does this make sense?

Wow they still hold them.

Well done.

The good thing about Restore disk, is they usually (but not always) come with all the drivers and some proprietory programs (and sometimes extras)

If it's not going to take too long for delivery, I'd wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back