Compatibility with Dell computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel its time to upgrade my PC(Dell 8100 Series) which is near 3 years old and was wondering if all memory cards are compatible with a dell or am I forced to pay an overpriced 260 $ just for 256 MB upgrade from my now 256 MB Comp that Dell offers.

memory

I think dell memory is standard, you can look in your manual for the specific type. Or you can call dell or go to an online memory finder and lookup your system.

If you have RDRAM/Rombus memory, I think you will have to pay the exorbitant Dell-price.
If you have SDRAM, you should be able to find matching memory, as long as you get CL=2 memory.

It might even be cheaper to buy a whole new Dell PC (without monitor)!

Thats why I was wondering whether or not anything else was compatible my comp specs are:

P4 2.0 Ghz
256 RAM(Rambus Inline Memory Module, 128, 400M, 64X16, 4C, 40 )
40 GB HD
GeForce3 Ti200

And 260$ for only a 256MB upgrade is too pricey for me.

ram

Yeah, if you have rambus, it'll be very expensive to upgrade. Maybe it's available aftermarket?

I've also got RDRAM, in a slightly over two year old Gateway. I downloaded Everest Home Edtion, to find out exactly what type I have. It tells me I've got Samsung MR 16R 1628DF0-CT9, which is PC 1066. It's not as plentiful as PC 800, but I did find it at several places. I've done a Google for the exact brand and number, and found it here, and it's listed as OEM. Not cheap. Haven't tried it yet, but when I do, this is probaly what I'm going to get. I also found some on E-Bay, but i"m not to sure I want to start fooling with used ram.

Anyway, you might want to download Everest or a similar program, to help you find the type and part number you have, if you don't know it already.

Just so that you know, rambus ram requires you to purchase and install it in pairs. It's like how ram used to be when the pentium's first rolled out. Rambus is somewhat proprietary, and was faster than standard ram at the time. Now people moved to DRAM etc., because of the expense. I just upgraded from 1Gig to 2Gig, so I know how expensive it can be. :dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back