Completely white desktop background... Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedog102

Well, First of all, here's what it looks like:
desktopproblem3qn.jpg

The white you see in the picture is my actual background. And also, the desktop changer is inaccessible. I'll click and nothing will change, as if it's not even there.

And also, when I end explorer.exe in the process window, the background comes back (But obviously there are no icons or toolbar).

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Right click on your desktop and select 'Properties'. Select the 'desktop' tab and then the 'Customize desktop' button. Click on the 'Web' tab and remove the checkmark from the the 'Lock Desktop Items' box. Now 'DELETE' any web pages listed here. Click apply/ok Exit Display properties.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Right click on your desktop and select 'Properties'. Select the 'desktop' tab and then the 'Customize desktop' button. Click on the 'Web' tab and remove the checkmark from the the 'Lock Desktop Items' box. Now 'DELETE' any web pages listed here. Click apply/ok Exit Display properties.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for the welcome! But unfortunatley, I still have that problem. I have another picture (I'm terrible at wording what I'm trying to say :rolleyes: )

computerproblem4et.jpg

As you can see, I have no other Web pages (and I can't delete the homepage! :) ) and the lock desktop items box is unchecked. I've clicked the properties box for the homepage, and looked around, but nothing seemed like it would help my problem any...You maybe have any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Your computer may be infected with malware etc.

Go HERE and follow all the instructions exactly.

Post a fresh HJT log into this thread, only after doing the above.

P.s I have moved this thread into our security and the web forum.

Regards Howard :)

Boot into safe mode. See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Click start/run and type regsvr32 /u c:\WINDOWS\bh.dll into the run box and press the enter key.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

aip.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = http://localhost:9100/proxy.pac

O2 - BHO: Mario Forever Toolbar Helper - {8036D4D7-AAD3-4793-AB49-329E437155A8} - C:\Program Files\Mario Forever Toolbar\v2.0.0.4\Mario_Forever_Toolbar.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: Great Offers Displayer - {CE05B815-6F98-4ADD-AEB7-60BB2D4264F1} - c:\WINDOWS\bh.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Mario Forever Toolbar - {463DF6D5-BEC1-4d67-B217-59DB692DFC53} - C:\Program Files\Mario Forever Toolbar\v2.0.0.4\Mario_Forever_Toolbar.dll (file missing)

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIP] C:\WINDOWS\aip.exe

Fix all 016-DPF entries.

O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\aip.exe
c:\WINDOWS\bh.dll

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Well....this made my computer worse...I think it deleted some important McAfee files...so I get a popup:
picfortech5pq.png

every 10 seconds... And I still have the white background. I'm not sure what's wrong...

I can`t see anything bad in your HJT log.

However, I`d like you to go HERE and follow the instructions.

Post a fresh HJT log, after doing the above.

First, remove all non-microsoft firewalls, McAfee, Norton, and other security...
After you first document what you have and what you need later to restore them after everything is fixed.
We never see the problems you display, unless somebody has performed some heavy adjusting and tweaking of the Windows files and setups. So what may you had done? I hope you don't tell us, this just happened by itself.

This is an old thread raybay, brought back to life by a spammer lol.

This thread is for the use of natedog102 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Wow, this thread is still here?!? I just got an e-mail saying someone responded. Damn, I reformatted that computer ages ago, lol. Thanks anyways. :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back