Complex troubleshooting issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

arex1337

Problem description
After playing Battlefield 2142, Quake 3, and Vanguard: SoH in about 5-30 minutes, my computer freezes up with repeating sound. Sometimes when that happens, I get a BSoD stating nv4_disp.dll is the problem. The problem has not occurred in Warcraft 3 (yet), but recently it happened during video playback. After rebooting, the same video file could be played without problems.

I've also had a few IRQ, and PAGEFAULT BSoDs. After I disabled the on-board integrated sound card in BIOS, I've not gotten any more IRQ BSoDs, but I'm not positive it actually is fixed. However, I am positive I'm still getting the PAGEFAULT BSoD, and my games freezes up all the time.

I've reinstalled all my drivers and the operating system (WinXP) several times without any luck fixing the issue. I've also tried earlier versions of my graphics drivers (Forceware) without results. I believe it's a hardware or driver problem. Though, I'm not positive I have only one (1) problem. I've logged the system temperatures right before the freeze ups, and they are normal. The temperature log file is attached.

No hardware has been overclocked. I've tried underclocking my graphics card, though, but it didn't help. I have also updated my BIOS three times.

I have provided a minidump from a PAGEFAULT BSoD and a pstat.txt, and will continue to provide minidumps if I get the opportunity.

Computer specification
Asus Striker Extreme
Corsair TWIN2XP2048-6400C4
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
XFX GeForce 8800 GTX

020407-01 Event 1001
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xe3071000, 0x00000001, 0xbfa718b8, 0x00000001). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020407-01.dmp. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Attachments

• Pstat020407-01.txt
    47.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DxDiag.txt
    47.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Typical_temperature_log.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 6
Hmmm. Prime95 crashes within 5 minutes. So it could be temperatures (bad cooling) or voltages (bad PSU) or the memory not keeping up. While I wait for a new PSU - any tips?

The second time i ran Prime95 I got this after 6 minutes:

[Sun Feb 04 09:21:15 2007]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

The CPU temperature peaked at 54 C, the system and CPU temperatures were constant at 42 and 65 C, respectively.

Yes, I have tried earlier versions of Forceware. Although there are only a few (two?) versions that supports my 8800 GTX card. Other versions of Forceware did not resolve the problem.

the issue may caused by the incompatiblity of the driver
is there no drivers released by nivdia?
you can check it on homepage of nv

I have. I would like some help analyzing the dumps, though. Maybe there's some useful information.

I removed the sound card and reinstalled. Same problem. I suspect hardware or driver incompatibility. Gonna try a new PSU, and also my 8800 GTX in another computer for further troubleshooting information.

My computer crashed with a nv4_disp.dll BSoD now, while playing Vanguard. Minidump is attached.

All three dumps are corrupt. Try running with just one stick of RAM at a time and see if it still crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back