Compressed Files Showing as Corrupt when x-fering from CD to HD - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me please, someone!

Here is the situation:

Somehow, whenever I try to install a program from a CD through my DVD-Rom drive, I'm getting an error message telling me that a file within a compressed file on the CD is corrupt, and cannot be transferred.

This isn't just happening with one or two CD's I've tried. I've tried a BUNCH and I'm getting the same basic error message from all of them. Here's what I know is NOT the problem:

The DVD-Rom drive itself
I was getting this problem on an older DVD-Rom drive, so I bought a new one. Same freakin' problem on the new one.

The Operating System
It was happening with my old install of Windows XP Pro. So, thinking it could be a problem with the OS, I decided to do a complete hard drive format, I deleted the partition, recreated it, re-installed Windows XP...and guess what...SAME PROBLEM!!

The CD itself
Aside from the fact that I'm getting this error on virtually every CD I try to install a program from, just because I'm anal, I took one of the CD's to work with me today. I tried to install it there and it worked fine.

This is something way above my head, folks. I'm currently entertaining the possibility that it could be a problem with my IDE cable connecting the DVD-Rom drive to the motherboard. Would this be a symptom of a bad IDE cable?

Other than that, I don't even know where to start to try to diagnose this problem. If any of you can help me out with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

CDrom and DVDrom drives don't like 80wire flatcables. Use the older type 40-wire cable and make sure that the coloured ribbon (red or blue) is at pin no. 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back