Computer boots, but monitor doesn't display anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been fighting this problem for months and haven't found an answer anywhere but maybe you guys can help. My computer seems to boot fine, but nothing is displayed on the monitor. The power light on the monitor ON button just blinks amber. If I wait a minute or so and then hit the reset button the computer reboots and the monitor comes on. The computer started doing this about 6 months after I built it. Once in a great while it will boot up on the first try, but it's very rare. I was thinking video card, but have unseated and reseated it a couple of times to no avail. I also got a new battery on the motherboard thinking it was having a problem. Now I'm thinking power supply or BIOS - any ideas?

Specs:
2.8Ghz Intel p4
Radeon 9600 pro
ASUS p4p800 MB
1 GB of Micron ram
QMAX 350W power supply

Thanks in advance for any help.
biacookies2002

Im having the exact same problem with my computer but it doesnt happen as often as with you. Im guessing its some fault with the card or with Windows.

It could also be the cord itself check both connections...
But if it looks normal on the second boot i would lean toward the PSU.

patio. :cool:

Thanks for the help -

I'm getting a new video card this week so I should know soon. If that doesn't change things I'll try a new power supply as well. As fate would have it the computer booted on the first try this morning - the first time in weeks.

I got a new Nvidia video card yesterday installed and everything came up fine this morning. I'll see how long it lasts, but for right now it looks like it was the v-card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back