Computer crashes due to BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmulyant

My computer encounters BSOD and it will restart with errors such as IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or BAD_POOL_CALLER or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. The occurrence of the BSOD is intermittent. It will run fine for a few days or sometimes up to a week and then I would encounter a few or sometimes several BSOD in a row and after that it will run fine for a few days or a week until the BSOD starts occurring again. This cycle keeps on repeat itself. Please help.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your minidumps are crashing with bugchecks of 8E/50/7F. This is a sign of faulty ram.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Please let us know the results.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Memtest Results

Hi,

I performed Memtest as recommended using the Standard test. Attached is the Memtest results.

Attachments

• MemtestResults.txt
    409 bytes · Views: 9
If memtest86+ gives you errors, then your ram is bad.

Remove the faulty stick of ram, and see if your system becomes stable.

Regards Howard :)

Memtest did not give me any errors.

As you can see from the minidumps, the last one was dated Nov 2005. During that time I did remove one of the module and the system did become stable. Yesterday, before running memtest I re-inserted the removed module back. Upon booting up it says that the module is faulty. Hence, I swapped the slots of the two modules. After that i was able to boot up.

From yesterday till today, both modules have been running for 15 hours non-stop during memtest and there appears to be no problem. But I'm not sure if the problem is fixed because my previous experience tells me that the occurrence of the BSOD is random.

Any suggestions?

Best,

HM

Ok. Of your bugchecks 7F/8E/50 see below for an explanation of what they mean.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

You have some kind of hardware problem. This could be your ram, and is the most common cause. It could also be your video ram/L2 cache ram of your cpu/a faulty mobo/a faulty psu etc.

As you are no doubt aware. Diagnosing a hardware problem can be very difficult.

Please be aware that some faulty ram can pass memtest.

If you are convinced that your ram is good, then you need to look elsewhere for the culprit.

I'm still not 100% convinced that the memory is good. I will monitor the system closely. Any BSOD that occur I will post the minidumps to see if you are able to help me narrow down the culprit.

I'm thinking of doing test 9 and 10 from memtest because I notice that the standard test did not perform these and I would like to give them both a go.

Another test that comes to mind is the hard drive fitness test. If i have time, I would also perform that.

Best,

HM

same crashes, with same errors #.

hi,

i also have the same crashes.
my memory has passed the memtest.

my system goes stable, and then on occasion, it will crash multiple times during the same day.

8e/50/0a/d1/4e are my error #'s.

can these errors be caused by anything other than the ram?

the ram im using is kingston value ram 512mb non-ecc. i know these are on the cheaper end of memory, but what ram are you using?
the system will be stable for weeks, and then some days it goes crazy.

howard i have read your post and tried many of your tests.
if everyone has the 8e/50 error, is the source of the problem always the same? or can it still be different errors with the same error #?.

please let me know if you find hte solution. i have also posted a new thread w/ my minidumps.
thank you.

howard i have read your post and tried many of your tests.
if everyone has the 8e/50 error, is the source of the problem always the same? or can it still be different errors with the same error #?.

No the source of the problem can be many different things, and each case can be different.

@djtech9

We can compare notes on the similarities of your system and mine.

And if you prefer instant messaging just let me know your service and your id so that I can add you in.

Best,

HM

specs.

-300W powersupply
-Motherboard model#pm9msr2
-3.06 GHz intel celeron D processor
-512Mb Kingston Memory
-128Mb Asus V9520 AGP videocard uses nvidia GeForce 5200 chip.

software components:
-windows xp sp1
-free avg antivirus? <--are you using this also?

which video card are you using? also what is the watts on your powersupply?

i think we are having same unstable random crash issues, and it might be a weak power supply?...do you ever get errors d1/4e along with your 8e/50?

keep me posted...thanks

updates

hey,

cpc2004 has checked my minidumps, and he says its related to either a faulty motherboard or videocard.

im thinking it might be my power supply, which might at certain times not supply stable current to either cause certain motherboard components or my videocard to become unstable.

the specs on my powersupply are :

Power Focus switching power supply
micro ATX - 300W
DC output:
+5v 20A
+12v 10A
+3.3V 12A

i think my +12V @ 10A might be too low...the current should be higher.

what is your power supply, and specs of it?

@djtech9

Hi, nice to hear that cpc2004 has managed to narrow down your problem. How did you request him to check your minidumps? Is it possible to have him take a look at mine too?

Best,

HM

hey...

well i have posted them on the forum, but howard has a great post regarding system crashes, so please read it before you attach minidumps.

you didnt answer my question regarding your power supply?
can you please open your case and let me know the specs of it.

want to see if your power supply is somewhat similar to mines.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back