computer crashes during gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading some of the other posts that people put up, my problem (which i will explain shortly) seems to be heat-related. However, I am still unsure that is the true cause of the problem.

My computer specs are in my profile, which makes it easier to read. My problem began about 1.5 months ago when I got an update for Splinter Cell Chaos Theory which then started freezing. CTRL - ALT - DEL would not do anything, same as ALT - TAB, the only solution was to do a hard-restart. Around the same time I purchased a new video card which is a PNY nVidia 6600, this was an upgrade from a nVidia 4000MX. Not too long after Splinter Cell started freezing and the new video card was installed, Counter-Strike Source started freezing as well. It would be intermittent, I could be playing for 15 min or 1.5-2 hours before it would freeze, but it would always happen. I could play older games fine such as Age of Empires II: Conquerors. I thought the problem may have to do with the level of the voltage that the new video card was getting since I was running quite a few peripherals from my old 300 watt power supply. This evening I installed a new 550 watt power supply, but the problem still happens in both Splinter Cell and CS:Souce.

I constantly check the temperature of my video card which during most game-play is between 50-55 C, and during normal useage around 47-50 C. I also have SpeedFan installed which gives the temperature and voltages. This shows temperatures (before I installed the new power supply and a new fan) of around 45-52 C, and is now showing 38-47 C. My voltage is shown as: Vcore 1.33, +12V 5.65, 3.3V 3.34, Vcc 5.04, Vin2 0.00, 5Vsb 5.02, Vbatt 0.00.

I hope I have given sufficient information, and will gladly give more if it is needed to solve this problem. Thanks in advance, Polybash

I had the latest drivers installed for both cards. I looked at the Valve/Steam support site and tried the suggested drivers there for CS:Source, but that still did not help the problem. As of right now I am still running the older drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back