Computer Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 3 wks ago I started getting the BSOD every time I start my computer. It usually happens about 20-25 minutes after startup and it doesn’t matter what I’m doing at the time. It saying the computer has shut down. It reports an error at 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x894883DC, 0x89488268, 0x805D1140). Now the 1st, 2nd and 5th numbers seem to remain the same but the 3rd and 4th change with every crash. After it has done the memory dump it tries to reboot. Before the crash the hard drive light illuminates and the computer freezes and then the crash. The light stays on and the only way to get it going again is after the memory dump is done I turn the power off. I then turn it back on and everything is normal for the rest of the day. I’m running Windows Media Center Edition 2005 SP2 with latest updates, 2 GBs ram, 1 WD HD 160GIG SATA drive (partitioned C,D,E,F) and 2 Maxtor 200GIG PATA drives (H and I).. The only thing that was added to the computer was a GB of ram about 7 months ago. I have done some troubleshooting but have run out of ideas. I have updated all my software to the latest versions, scanned for virus, removed the extra GB of ram, ran diagnostics on my RAM and the WD hard drive with no reported errors. I finally decided to format my C Drive and reinstall the OS and some basic apps (AVG, Office 2003, Adobe Reader 8) but the next day it happened again. The last thing I did that has some effect was move the swap file from the SATA drive to one of the Maxtor drives and the next day the computer did not crash. The following day however (today), the computer did not crash but rebooted itself after the HD light illuminated and computer froze. Any suggestions what I could do next?

I would start by checking your memory... You might try running the computer with the cover off and see if the BSOD's disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back