Computer crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody

Please give me some advice about my computer crash. On every crash appears the same error:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.
The bugcheck was:
0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0x805545f0, 0xb2000000, 0x1040080f).

I attached minidump file and debuglog.txt file. I do not understand what causes the error, I do not know how to read debuglog.txt file.

My system configuration is:
Intel P4, 3GHz Prescott,
1x512 DDR 3200
MB-MSI 865PE Neo 2V,
Video ATI-Radeon 9600
HDD 120GB WD
Audio on board
Lan on board
O: WinXP pro

The computer crashes many times when I activate hyper threading in BIOS. With HT disabled crashes are few. I tested my computer with memtest, sisoftware Sandra, Everst and all testes, benchmarks and work fine without any problem, no crash, nothing. Everything is perfect. But when I work multitasking or try to convert a video file computer restarts and sometimes without any dump file.
I replaced, HDD, video card, power source (I have a new power source) and computer crashes like before. I reinstalled win and updated all drivers and problem persists.
Please help if you can, and tell me what causes all these crashes.

Thank you

the minidump analysis tells me something about your processor and driver fault

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x9C_GenuineIntel

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 80703bf7 to 805375a2

STACK_TEXT:
805545c8 80703bf7 0000009c 00000000 805545f0 nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x1b
805546f4 806fec52 80042000 00000000 00000000 hal!HalpMcaExceptionHandler+0xdd
805546f4 00000000 80042000 00000000 00000000 hal!HalpMcaExceptionHandlerWrapper+0x4a

whenever I read "hal" I think of acpi, uni core and multi core.
how old is the cd you installed windows from? it is not conclusive, even the dump says that. but there is either something wrong with the cpu or you have the wrong hal installed. not 100% sure on the hal.dll because usually wrong hal.dll causes the computer a bsod on startup.

My windows CD the latest with SP2 included. Also I have instaled all windows updates until now. Please explain what does in mean wrong hal installed?
Thank you

hal

hal means hardware abstraction layer and there is a different hal.dll being installed for acpi, unicore, multicore processor systems. for you it would be a unicore because your cpu has one core only.
I think we can exlcude that from the check-up list.

but it still seems there is a problem with your cpu or something around this (e.g. chipset). I am not good in desktop things, sorry. Can you check if the cpu fan works correct and is clean? you could also install a cpu temp check software. there are programs who can monitor all temperatures in your computer.

if you have more minidumps, post them. maybe there is something else we can look for!?

Thank you mscrx, I've checked cpu temp. with speed fan, in 100% CPU loading max. was 65-68C. I wondering why when I was testing with sisoftware Sandra and Everst it never crashed even cpu temp was 68C and when I work multitasking or video encoding it crashes. If I enable hyper threading in BIOS, it crashes more often (the cpu temp is the same). I attached the latest dump files. Thank you for your help.

Have you oc'ed anything, particularly your RAM?

You have 0x9C errors and this is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred.

aumha.org says that the parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution.

Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU). This is why I asked if you have overclocked any of your components and if you have what happens if you set your ocing back a setting or two.

Okay, let's start with the simplest things first.

1. Check to see if all case fans, CPU fan, and video card fan are spinning. Is anything blocking your air flow?

2. Run chkdsk/r

3. Run MemTest for a minimum of 10 passes and if any errors you have faulty RAM.

4. Run a diagnostic on your harddrive. The Storage and Network forum here has a link to many of the harddrive manufacturer's websites where you can utilize their diagnostic utlities.

the latest dump you posted was the error. the error is hardware related, possibly the memory. you should do what Route44 suggested and run tests on hdd and memory (one bar at a time and then all together).
the temps are acceptable for 100% cpu load but the ht not working worries me. if all tests are ok you might have a problem with the cpu.

dude,trust me, I've had similar problems with my computer too! The first thing that I'd want to advice you is to check the drivers and see if all of them are digitally signed for windows xp platform. If some are not,uninstal them and look for compatible device drivers. To check for that just right click on "my computer" then select properties to display the properties dialog box. Select the hardware tab and then click on device manager. Check the properties of all the devices with yellow icons next to them or if not all all the devices to them and try updating their drivers where neccessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back