Computer Decided To Just Not Start One Day...Dead Mobo??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

I'm new to the forums so I thought I'd start off with this little situation I'm having. My desktop (self built within the last year) suddenly just stopped working about 2 months ago. One day it was fine and the next absolutely nothing happened when I hit the power button. Having gone through this type of situation before I knew that troubleshooting it would take forever and just have been way to busy in the past 2 months to devote sufficient time to it and have been using my laptop ever since. Today I got bored, however, and decided to figure out what was wrong with the desktop. Here's what I've discovered thus far:

-Power supply seems fine...I hooked it up to another self-built barebones and it started everything up

-Power LED on mobo (Asus p4p800 SE) lights up when I plug the PSU into the wall so there is at least some connection between the PSU and the mobo

-The power switch from the front panel of the case seems to work fine b/c I plugged it into the mobo of the other computer that I tested the power on and it powered that one up perfectly

-After close inspection I don't see any shorts anywhere that would indicate burnout

-Haven't ever moved cpu...so it shouldn't be the cause...and even without one the fans connected to the mobo should at least start when i turn the computer on

Basically, I hit the power button and there is absolutely no response whatsoever...not even an attempt at powerup...its as if the power button is not even connected to the mobo (even though it obviously is)

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be? I've considered simply replacing the mobo, but its less than a year old and I don't recall anything happening that would indicate it having been damaged and dropping another $150 on a mobo if this one is fine just seems like a waste. Plus I like to understand why things happen and this has just completely stumped me. Let me know if you need any other information and I'll gladly provide it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
David

Has there been any power surges lately? THis can usually take out a computer if its not propelly surge-protected (nice board, good PSU) Alot of people think they can get by with a cheap PSU. WRONG!!

NONO...definitely not...i learned my lesson about surge protection a few years back. I've got my hardware runing through an InterAct Millenium surge protector and I've got a quality PSU with more than enough power to power the mobo and cpu.

Hey i have same problem

Hi, i have same problem with my MSI K8TM, i was using it and suddenly stoped working, then i restarted worked but after 1 minute it died forever, i tested the power supply with a voltimeter and all voltages were right, yes is an ATX but you can jump the green cable in the connector to one black (ground) and make it work like an AT power supply, well after that i was checking and when i connected the computer to the power supply the led blinks just for less than a second, and when i disconnect it, it sounds with a shhhhhhhh, or something like this, i think that the problem lies in the start system of the ATX technology, i think if we jump the power supply in the green cable (ps-on) with earth or a black cable, inside the power supply, we can give power to the MB with out using the system of start of the MB, i think that a capacitor is damaged or other piece in the system, becouse the start button is just push, and not push and hold, and then other thing that continues giving connection and doing that the power supply works, and when you turn of with windows, it discharges this device and shuts off the system, and the problem lies there always is shut off the system becouse this device is damaged, but i think that all the appart system is ok, i dont know but i am sure that it is.

And now i ask to you, is there any sound when you connect and disconnect it, the pc?, pay attention when you disconnect the main power cable, if it is, then you might have my same problem, i think that in this part of starting up in a computer every model of mb, no matter brand, uses the average same array, becouse you can interchange betwen power supplies, then this "part" of starting up computers might be the average same.

Tell me, what you think?

sorry for my bad english

See, the problem with mine is that i get absolutely NO response no matter what i do...i wish i would get at least a sound of some sort but its as though the power button on the front of the case is not even connected to the mobo. There is a green light on the mobo that indicates it is connected to the power supply, however, so i know that it is getting juice. Perhaps you are right about the circuitry being messed up somehow and the intelligence linked to the power button starting the mobo is damaged? I really dont know...does anyone else have any ideas?

It probably is dead. Do all ur drive lights and everything come on and go off after blinking?
If so, it most definitely is dead. But it also might not be positioned properly and might be touching the body and getting shorted out. Try checking it out and see what happens.

a couple of things before you start digging a grave for it (or binning it), try going to basics (ps/mobo/sound/vga) see if it starts up, check for a burnt smell on the mobo and cpu (if yes, then its gone), sounds pressent? and check for shorting like rage said.... by the way, did it ever felt like overheating previously? and another thing you might be able to tell us is what recent changes u had done as well...

scramjet.. im not sure but as far as i can tell from what you say (heh.. sorry) but it might be that you need a new switch? i assume your talking about the "start button" being the power-on switch/button?

N3051M

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
It probably is dead. Do all ur drive lights and everything come on and go off after blinking?
If so, it most definitely is dead. But it also might not be positioned properly and might be touching the body and getting shorted out. Try checking it out and see what happens.

Nothing receives power from what I can tell...the only indication that the mobo receives it is the green light at the bottom of the mobo that lights up when i plug in the tower to an outlet. Other than that, the power button does absolutely nothing...no effect whatsoever....no spinning, no beeping, no fans turn on, nothing...

N3051M said:
a couple of things before you start digging a grave for it (or binning it), try going to basics (ps/mobo/sound/vga) see if it starts up, check for a burnt smell on the mobo and cpu (if yes, then its gone), sounds pressent? and check for shorting like rage said.... by the way, did it ever felt like overheating previously? and another thing you might be able to tell us is what recent changes u had done as well...

scramjet.. im not sure but as far as i can tell from what you say (heh.. sorry) but it might be that you need a new switch? i assume your talking about the "start button" being the power-on switch/button?

N3051M

I've unplugged and taken off all components besides the cpu and the mobo...i just want to get the damn fans spinning just to see if the mobo can power anything. And like i mentioned before, its not the power switch, b/c I tried it on another machine and it powered it up fine...there is no burnt smells that i can tell and no charring or anything. I hadnt made any changes prior to it shutting down...it was simply out of nowhere that it wouldnt turn on.

thanks again for all your help

Might be worth a chance

I have had the same issue you are having. im not sure if you have resloved your issue. I can get the machine to boot only if I flash the Bios everytime I have to reastart. This may at leat help you get you data off. I am going to submit my issues to Asus to see what they have to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back