Computer doesn't turn on after a power outtage at my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a power outtage hit my house I tried to start my computer, but it didn't turn on. I opened the computer up thinking it was the power supply. I had the power supply replaced but that wasn't the issue. I also noticed the modem on the motherboard was lit up, so im guessing the motherboard is still ok. Sometimes when i kept turning off the power supply then back on, then try to start the computer i would see a flicker of the power light. Please i need advice on what could be wrong with the computer before i waste money to get it repaired when it could be a easy fix that I can do.

no fans spin at all just a green light is lit at the end of the motherboard.

should i still take the battery out?

I hope you had a surge protector. Even with a protector, your PSU could have bit the dust.

yes i think you should try that, you did tho replace the power supply tho right beacuse it soulds like a psu issue

I live in philadelphia so i dont think electricity is an issue. I did buy a antec 450watt power supply because i thought my old one blew. When i plugged everything in no fans came on just a light on the motherboard. Could the problem be with the power cable?

when your psu died from an electric shock :) it may as well taken other components with it to the grave, such as your motherboard. This is the most anoying one to troubleshoot, unless you can swap it with a compatible one for your system.

You should invest in a good quality surge protecter, and even a UPS if you have the money...

What if you just keep the minimum hardware in?

The light on the mobo means that it gets power, but not that it's not dead.

You could try short the green wire and a black wire of the PSU while the motherboard is plugged, but that normally isn't a good idea. (Maybe the motherboard won't power on for a reason)

The only time I had a dead motherboard like this was when I busted the BIOS chip.

Unfortunately you have been hit with either a power surge, or, even worse, a brown-out type of power issue that involves your power going too low to sustain your pc. Either one of these can and will cause extensive damage to any or all of your pc parts.
The problem is that the power coming into our homes is built on a power grid that is not set to pc requirements as pcs werent around when home power was created. So it doesnt really matter where you live. It happens to be a bit worse in my area of my city and a bit better in other parts of my city, but its always questionable. Im not an electrician so my report here, while it may not be totally correct, is correct enough to report the problem you have encountered, its just laymans terms.
That is why there are UPS's (uninterruptible power supplies) at the computer stores. I used to think they were extras that arent really needed, but i was wrong. These units condition the power and they dont allow power surges and they increase the power if and when it gets too low for our pc to run properly. They are very cheap these days and we should all have one. It happened to me once, lost my mobo, hard drive, power supply, video card,etc. Then i found out all i could about UPS's and i have 3 of them now and i dont have that problem anymore!
Unfortunately that is where you are, you have been hit bad. You need to get a UPS for the future.
Right now you have to take your entire pc apart and have each part tested
as that is the only way you will find out which is burnt out and which isnt.
Almost for sure you power supply is gone and likely your hard drive but you have to test them in other pc's to find out, or have them tested by a shop.
When you but a new power supply make sure its a good one. A good power supply has electronics inside it that will know what is going on and take steps to make sure your pc doesnt get the brunt of the problem and it will sacrifice itself to save your pc parts. A cheap power supply doesnt have that circuitry inside it to save your pc from harm! There is more than one reason to get a good power supply!
Im sorry to have to tell you all this by the way, but someone has to tell you.
It sure seems that this is the problem, based on the fact that you said that a power outtage hit your home. Its pretty certain that what i have said above is correct.

Darn, the more i think of it the more I feel badly for you.
Still, though, you will have to test all your parts. Its pretty certain the ps is gone. What make and model is it?
Your ram may still be ok.
Your hard drive you can slave it to another system to test it.
cpu\hs\fan may still be good. Definitely needs to be tested in another mobo.
mobo is likely gone.
pci or usb add-ons may be ok too, as well as mouse, keyboard, monitor.
Video is likely gone but test it to be sure.
If you dont mind, come back and let us know, even if it takes a while.
The damage has already been done, but this can push someone into getting a UPS. So some good can come out of bad! I sure wish i had read about how valuable a UPS can be before i lost a ton of hardware. And i wish i had known how a good power supply can prevent damage to other pc parts. I just figured a power supply is a power supply, but i was way wrong.
So if one or two people read this then its worth it. I would be that you will be getting a UPS!
By the way, you can get them for $50 or less. You dont have to get a real expensive UPS. As long as you get the hookups you need on it, for your pc, for your cable, for your phone\internet, thats what counts. Paying more only gets you more minutes before the system shuts down. Even on the cheapest machines you get the electrical conditioning and the protection.

All that being said, lets still try the re-setting the cmos again, if you dont mind. Can you read your manual and do exactly as it says in regards to the reset of your cmos?

if you don't have enough parts to swap out, take it to a local PC repair shop. they will have adequate parts to eliminate all the bad ones.

hey just got my comp back, I sent it to a friend to see if he could fix it. He got the computer to turn on but it shuts off by itself in like 30 seconds of it being on. He thinks i need a new mobo or could it be the new power supply i put into it. When it turns on its says Something about the fasttrack controller not attached. Do i have to reset the bios? How could i reset them?

fasttrack controller.. i think its something to do with hdd connection or bios for the motherboard....

Try reset the bios by taking out the battery (CMOS, BIOS same thing..) for a bit then putting it back in..

If all else fails, i think its time to move on and get a replacement mobo, through the warranty if you still have that.. (although i don't know if power surges covered or not..). Mind you if you get a different model than the one you have you will need to reinstall or repair windows on it..

I tried the cmos and it didn't work. But im pretty sure the whole computer might be dead, so i think ill just build a new one instead of buying a new one. cuz i have the case and a new psu

Zurro said:
I tried the cmos and it didn't work. But im pretty sure the whole computer might be dead, so i think ill just build a new one instead of buying a new one. cuz i have the case and a new psu
Yeh i guess thats one way of looking at it lol..

See what other parts you can salvage... you'd never know..
Have fun building :)
N30

I cleaned out some parts of the computer cuz i thought it was overheating. When i turn on the computer it still says fasttrack controller not found and bios not installed. Then after that sometimes it says New cpu installed and then other times saying not able to overclock or doesnt say anything at all it just loads up.

Then when it loads up to the User names screen to log into Windows XP the computer stays on fine. But when i log into XP a weird sound i never heard before comes on and after a couple seconds it shuts off.

Does this mean anything specifically on what item in the comp to buy or re-configure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back