Computer freezeing during games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive recently purchased myself a new computer and at first i really liked it. It ran everything great and was a nice upgrade from my old 1.6g gateway that was about 7 years old.

Ive had the computer for about a month now and ever since ive had it its been freezeing during games. Its a complete freeze, cant alt tab or Ctrl+alt+del. Only thing to do is to hit the restart button. I have tried everything i can think of to fix this. I have all the latest drivers, I've ran memtest for hours and hours with no errors. The PC is quite cool, usually the cpu is running at about 40-50C and graphics card is about the same temp, of course the temps rise a bit during gaming.

The freeze happens in every game i have, from old games to brand new ones. The computer never freezes during internet browsing or simple tasks but does freeze during a prime95 torture test. Usually it doesn't last long in prime95, maybe 20-30 mins but it seems each time i run it it increases how long it lasts in prime95. to top it off after i run prime95 a couple of times it seem to make games run longer without freezeing but after a while the freezes become closer and closer together.

I've called the manufacturer about this and they thought it was a problem with the cpu or motherboard so they sent me replacement ones, but the problem is still there. They seem to not know what the are talking about over the phone half of the time so i am resorting to my own methods.

here are my computer specs:

intel pentium D 3.20ghz cpu
abit IP-95 motherboard
nvidia 7300 gs
160gb Western digital sata hard drive
585 watt orion power supply
1gb DDR2 ram
running XP home edition SP2

Any help at all would be great cause i am totally lost as to what the problem is. I have some spare parts that i can swap in and out so im all ears as to what to do now.

1. test your ram with memtest 86+ - any errors indicate faulty ram. Use the floppy or CD version for at least 7 passes.
2. Check your Power supply for correct voltages/amps with a PSU tester and a multimeter. Testers cost around $12-15
3. Check your temperatures on your CPU
4. check your minidumps. Go to the windows forum and search "How do I read minidumps."

Its been a while since I've checked this post so i have some updated info on whats going on with my comp.

Ive tested the ram and there are no errors and all

temps are just fine i have them being constantly monitored

Ive tried to find my minidump files and i can't seem to find any so i might be looking in the wrong place or they just aren't there

as for my power supply i haven't tested it so it could be the problem

My computer basically only freezes now when it is running something that isnt the same resolution as my desktop, like for example, Warcraft 3. My desktop is set for 1440 x 900 but warcraft 3 can only go to 1268 x 800 or so i think. alt tabbing between my desktop and warcraft 3 frequently freezes the computer.
Running a movie in windows media player or real player and changing the video size by dragging a corner of the window also freezes the computer quite rapidly. I have watched the temps of my computer while doing these things and they don't even get close to overheating. I'm thinking it may be a video card problem as changing the resolution inside of games also can freeze the computer.
If anyone has any suggestions ill gladly listen.

i think your prob is the video card couse i had the same prob before i bought the xfx 8800 gts 640mb now its working great you need to buy a more sofisticated graphic card ! I had the 7300 le !

Do you have another vid card to try? have you updated your motherboard and video drivers?

You DON´T need a more soficticated card. Simply goto the home site of ur manufacturer card and get the latest drivers availabe to ur card. Install the drivers and see what happen then.

Must of the times the drivers that come with Windows XP installations don´t allow the extreme settings of the cards, so they can have troubles with resolutions, refreshing rates, etc.

I have all the latest drivers from the manufacturer and they don't change the problem. My motherboard is running the latest drivers as well. I have ordered a new card that will be here shortly and we will see if that solves the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back